Building precision

I don't know if it is me or Google, but when I look down on the Great Pyramid it looks like it is at least 2 degrees off North. (The video claims exactly North 1/500 of a degree) (3:25)

The Great Pyramid also looks like it's much smaller on the west side than the other 3 sides.

There is a picture of how level the pyramid cap is at 51:36. I could get my work to be level too if I could use a wedge on the base of the level.

Seymore4Head

It's gotta be an optical illusion caused by the satellite that took the picture not flying directly over the pyramid, but at a small angle to the vertical over it.

The Great Pyramid at Giza is known to be astonishingly well laid out along the north/south and east/west directions. Even today surveyors could not lay out the footprint of a building to the same accuracy that the ancient Egyptians did in building the Great Pyramid.

Reply to
nestork

Then and now so many things could vary.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Not true, it varies from perfectly flat by 15mm

Reply to
philo

The ground settled from all that weight?

Reply to
Hillary Obama

I think you may be right. When we were looking to buy a pyramid, the relator kept telling us it was perfect. I did not trust the Egyptian home inspector either We ended up buying a papyrus cottage further up the Nile

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:WoudnUxwNIIl- jTOnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Pyramid or papyrus cottage, it's all about location location location.

Never buy a papyrus cottage next to a camel-repair shop; the noise will drive you Sekhmet.

Reply to
Tegger

Also, the sides vary by a similar or slightly greater amount.

An engineering marvel but nothing close to today's capabilities.

Look at it this way:

I had a friend of mine put in a sidewalk and there is one spot that collects water. It is probably low by just 1/8 th of an inch but it's not right and I have now applied two skim coats. No professional cement worker would have made that kind of error. (Nor do they use sophisticated tools.)

OTOH: For a large skyscraper the standards are considerably better than that of the pyramids.

I heard of a skyscraper (in the late 60's) in NY where the contractor got in major trouble for making the base of a building too short by

1/8th on an inch. That's something like 3mm. To spot an error* like that is child's play with today's instrumentation.

  • Probably not an error, but an effort on the contractor's part to pocket more money.

Reply to
philo

And they used inferior grade stone, too. The poor workmanship shows after a few thousand years. And they won't let you inspect the inside.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

For all you know, there could be a dead body inside!

Reply to
philo

Bridge tilting problem here on I495. Would have held up better if built by Egyptians.

Reply to
Frank

I asked about looking inside The guy said "over my dead body".

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Today's capabilities were shown off by a local overpass project a few years ago. It was a perfectly fine bridge, it just was about 20' south of where it was supposed to be. Apparently everyone was caught up with their precision measuring instruments that they never eyeballed the situation.

Reply to
rbowman

That is easy enough to do. There are several map standards that define starting places. Say if one surveyor starts at a point defined on one map to the east and another starts at a point to the west defined by another map standard they will not meet in the middle.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

There is a difference between precision and accuracy!

Reply to
philo

Amazing what Egyptian realtors hide.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

...snip...

Of course he got in trouble. If he made the base too short then the skyscraper will never reach the ground. We all know what kind of trouble that can cause after a few years.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Stormin Mormon wrote in news:Fakqv.70188$ snipped-for-privacy@fx05.iad:

Sometimes they don't even bother to hide anything.

I looked at one of those once; it was really cluttered inside and looked like it hadn't been dusted in ages. And what was with the lack of windows? Not worth the asking price, IMHO.

Reply to
Tegger

Frank wrote in news:lobtlf$jh3$1@dont- email.me:

But how do you manage to build a bridge if you Walk Like an Egyptian?

Reply to
Tegger

Utter nonsense.

Reply to