Building precision

Page 1 of 2
I don't know if it is me or Google, but when I look down on the Great Pyramid it looks like it is at least 2 degrees off North. (The video claims exactly North 1/500 of a degree) (3:25)
The Great Pyramid also looks like it's much smaller on the west side than the other 3 sides.
There is a picture of how level the pyramid cap is at 51:36. I could get my work to be level too if I could use a wedge on the base of the level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcKahraBiBY

It's gotta be an optical illusion caused by the satellite that took the picture not flying directly over the pyramid, but at a small angle to the vertical over it.
The Great Pyramid at Giza is known to be astonishingly well laid out along the north/south and east/west directions. Even today surveyors could not lay out the footprint of a building to the same accuracy that the ancient Egyptians did in building the Great Pyramid.
--
nestork

On 06/23/2014 11:39 PM, nestork wrote:

Not true, it varies from perfectly flat by 15mm
On 06/24/2014 03:03 AM, philo wrote:

The ground settled from all that weight?
On 06/24/2014 03:23 AM, Hillary Obama wrote:

Also, the sides vary by a similar or slightly greater amount.
An engineering marvel but nothing close to today's capabilities.
Look at it this way:
I had a friend of mine put in a sidewalk and there is one spot that collects water. It is probably low by just 1/8 th of an inch but it's not right and I have now applied two skim coats. No professional cement worker would have made that kind of error. (Nor do they use sophisticated tools.)
OTOH: For a large skyscraper the standards are considerably better than that of the pyramids.
I heard of a skyscraper (in the late 60's) in NY where the contractor got in major trouble for making the base of a building too short by 1/8th on an inch. That's something like 3mm. To spot an error* like that is child's play with today's instrumentation.
* Probably not an error, but an effort on the contractor's part to pocket more money.
Even today surveyors

Utter nonsense.
On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 4:56:25 PM UTC-7, None wrote:

It doesn't even meet the "utter nonsense" criteria. What some people will believe is a wonder.
Harry K
Seymore4Head wrote:

On 6/23/2014 10:32 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

I think you may be right. When we were looking to buy a pyramid, the relator kept telling us it was perfect. I did not trust the Egyptian home inspector either We ended up buying a papyrus cottage further up the Nile
On 6/24/2014 7:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

And they used inferior grade stone, too. The poor workmanship shows after a few thousand years. And they won't let you inspect the inside.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 06/24/2014 07:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

For all you know, there could be a dead body inside!
On 6/24/2014 9:12 AM, philo wrote:

Amazing what Egyptian realtors hide.
--
.
Christopher A. Young
On 6/24/2014 8:07 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:

I asked about looking inside The guy said "over my dead body".

Pyramid or papyrus cottage, it's all about location location location.
Never buy a papyrus cottage next to a camel-repair shop; the noise will drive you Sekhmet.
--
Tegger

On 6/23/2014 10:32 PM, Seymore4Head wrote:

Bridge tilting problem here on I495. Would have held up better if built by Egyptians.
philo wrote:

Today's capabilities were shown off by a local overpass project a few years ago. It was a perfectly fine bridge, it just was about 20' south of where it was supposed to be. Apparently everyone was caught up with their precision measuring instruments that they never eyeballed the situation.
On 06/24/2014 08:55 AM, rbowman wrote:

There is a difference between precision and accuracy!

That is easy enough to do. There are several map standards that define starting places. Say if one surveyor starts at a point defined on one map to the east and another starts at a point to the west defined by another map standard they will not meet in the middle.
...snip...

Of course he got in trouble. If he made the base too short then the skyscraper will never reach the ground. We all know what kind of trouble that can cause after a few years.

Sometimes they don't even bother to hide anything.
I looked at one of those once; it was really cluttered inside and looked like it hadn't been dusted in ages. And what was with the lack of windows? Not worth the asking price, IMHO.
--
Tegger