Building Custom Door

I have an older stone house built in 1820 and the back door is a replacement door from probably 75 years ago. The door is so-so in terms of keeping the cold air out, but I mainly want to replace it because the rest of the woodwork/doors in the house are raised panel, more traditional looking doors that are original to the house. The door's raised panels should match the style of raised panels on the walls in the doorway/stoop (to visualize what I mean, the width of the walls on this stone house house are 2.5 to 3 feet thick, so that wall/stoop space that spans the wall in front to the right and left of the door is covered by raised panels from floor to ceiling). Also, the other outside doors in the house have the long, iron hinges that span the entire width of the door on the inside, but this one has more modern hinges and it just doesn't look right in the house.

I don't want to replace the entire door frame, just the door itself if possible. What is my best bet as to getting a door that is this exact size/width, etc.? It is not a standard size (wider and shorter than standard doors, and thick in depth). The outer doors on this house are very heavy and made with wide lumber. I was thinking of contacting a cabinetry carpenter, but maybe there are other types of businesses who would do this sort of custom work? Also, I'm willing to ante up for a quality door, but I'm a working fool and not made out of money, so price is a factor......

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated. I'm located in northeastern PA.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Gray

nospambob

get out the yellow pages and your check book, look up doors(cutom made) and be prepared to pay for it....

Reply to
jim

A cabinet shop may be able to duplicate a door for you but they might not have the equipment to create a quality cope and stick door with mortise and tenon joints. My experience with cabinet shops in my area (Upstate NY) is that they use dowel construction.

Find a shop that specializes in door construction and make sure they use mortise and tenon joinery. If the shop has to order/grind new knives to match your existing panel and sticking profiles then you will pay a fortune but they may have an exact or close match.

Gary