Building a deck over a slab

I want to build an 12x16 deck on top of an 8x10 slab. Slab is in good

condition. I want to lay the floor boards across the slab. I was going to build a frame ( with2x6's) that would be on top of the ground and in some areas partially underground to attach the floor boards too where the wood deck would overhang the slab. Is this real for me to do? Would the whole deck be able to withstand freezing? Should the support beams in and on the ground be cemented or supported with stone. I don't want any railing since I planning on building a pergola above it in the spring? Kentucky winter?

Reply to
jtumis

I would at least anchor the 2x6 framing to the slab. As for the ones that are outside the slab, dig down past the frost line or else you may have a lot of movement.

Most wood and composite decking requires adequate ventilation below the deck or you'll risk it getting moldy and stinky...

jtumis wrote:

Reply to
tim1198

I disagree. The slab is almost certainly floating (no footers below the frost line). You don't want one section of the deck on frost footings and the other floating. You either need to make the entire deck float (which means it cannot be attached to the house, although it can sit right next to it) or break up the concrete and install frost footings everywhere. You wouldn't need to remove the entire patio, just break it up where the footings go.

-Tim

Reply to
Tim Fischer

I disagree with both of you and the OP. Why not extend the patio? In the long run, it will require much less care, be stable, easier to maintain in snow, no rodents taking up home under a deck, and probably a dozen other reasons.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
jtumis