Buffet

About 10 years ago I purchased a beautiful buffett at an estate auction. It's only defect is that the side trim on the top must have come loose at some point and was glued back on, but it sliped about a 16th of an inch. Since I seem to be the only one who notices it, I left alone out of fear of marring the surface.

But I'd like to repair it, but am not sure as to separate that part of the trim that slipped withour damaging the buffet.

Any ideas?

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

Dick-

I guess I'm inclined to ask:

Cost of quality vs cost of non-conformance............

that is, will you do more harm by attempting a fix rathaer than just living with it as is?

Any idea as to the type of glue? How firm is the bond?

I hear you about the fix being sub-optimal (& I'd be inclined to attempt a re-repair) but is it worth the risk?

You "might" be able to steam the glue off but.............

cheers Bob

Reply to
BobK207

Bob, you and I are on the same page. I want to fix it, but given its quality, why take the risk?

Absolutely clueless as to type of glue. Since the repair is pretty sloppy, I suspect household repair glue. As to the bond - this is the first time I noticed it was separating

The glue may have been on there for 20-30 years for all I know.

Dick

Reply to
Dick Adams

If the thing is small enough to fit in your vehicle, and you have enough people around to lift it, I'd take it to the local furniture repair/refinish place for a parking lot consultation. They deal with stuff like this all the time on pieces they are refinishing. I have one local guy I used several times, and his prices are surprisingly cheap. YMMV, of course.

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

Putty knife? Work slowly/carefully under bright light.

Reply to
Phisherman

Does it have veneer on the top? If so, probably best left alone. If you can get something very thin - like a razor blade of sharp knive - under the edge, you may be able to slide it along, prying off the trim without cracking or scratching.

Reply to
Norminn