Brown streaks on clothes

Lately many items are coming out of the laundry (Whirlpool top-loader, 6-8 y.o.) with brown marks--not wide, sometimes straight, other times crescent. Do I need to do a major cleaning of the washer--and if so, how? Thanks for any help.

How old is the machine?
On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 20:23:18 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

6-8 y.o.
-- Oren

Does the cat go in there?

Have you contacted Whirlpool customer service?
<aspasia> wrote in message wrote:

A common problem- usually caused by a small nick on something metal inside, and a growing rust spot. One of many reasons recent washers usually have non-metallic tubs. Use a mirror and a flashlight to inspect inside of washer closely. Spot may not be obvious, and only show when tub is off center, like when spinning out of balance. Pattern comes from the fabric being pressed against that spot during spin cycle. Nicks can come from a zipper or bluejean snap or similar, so zipping and buttoning before laundering is a good idea. If it isn't rust stains, other likely culprit is grease, either from something in the washer, or some contaminated clothing having a clump on it. Has washer been worked on recently?
If you find a rust spot, sand down and apply touch-up paint from the appliance dealer. Some people say a coat of auto wax over the spot works for awhile.
Having been burned by this before, when using shared commercial machines, I always inspect my office clothes before putting them in the dryer. Once baked in, the stains are there forever, but if you catch them when wet, they sometimes wash out. On towels and such, I don't really care. When I bought this house, a month later the included washer caught on fire, and luckily the el cheapo Sams Club replacement has a plastic tub.
aem sends....
On Apr 3, 10:34 pm, aspasia wrote:

Customer service suggested I have a service call. The rep was clueless.

Unless you put something you shouldn't have in the washer you probably are leaking gear box oil past a seal into the tub somehow.

I give your answer a 10! Ah, the seal broke, huh? -- Oren

An you still have brown streaks, all week. It has been a week....
See oil comment from poster.
-- Oren