Broadcast lawn spreader

My $40 Scotts broadcast spreader is going to the trash heap, never again will buy a Scotts product. This spreader is literally falling apart and I have kept good care of it. I'm looking for a new walk behind spreader that will last a few years and better quality. The Lowes and Home Depot sell cheap spreaders (I guess that is what sells), but we have a new Tracter Supply Co. store. My local choices are limited as I am in a small town, anyone have comments on this one for use on one acre of fescue lawn?
Pro Broadcast Spreader with rain cover 100# capacity 4404303 (sale $118)
http://tinyurl.com/lwd3r7
I think this brand is "Harvest" but not sure. If anyone has used this one or similar I'd apprecte any comments.
Phisherman wrote:

Geeze for 120 bucks you could buy a new one every 3 years for a long time

For that price it must be quality and commercial use built, it should last a lifetime, but my 40$ scotts is 20 yrs old although you are right its cheaply made.

My Scotts SpeedyGreen that I bought at HD is 15 years old now, used on about 1/3 acre of turf and still works perfectly. The only thing I do is always rinse it out after each use.

I see basically unused spreaders, usually Scott's, at garage sales for less than 5 bucks all the time. I'd never buy a new one- for the once a year or so I use one, I consider it disposable. If it craps out beyond what a hosedown and a few squirts of silicone on the moving parts will fix, I'll set it out on the curb, and stop at a couple of garage sales. OP, what are you spreading so often that you are wearing them out? I'd only buy a commercial-grade spreader if I was doing lawns for a living.
-- aem sends...
aemeijers wrote:

My guess - lime.

I used pelletized lime ONE time, although 700#. Is there a spreader that can handle lime?
Phisherman wrote:

I don't know. I've destroyed more than one with lime. It just trashes the gears. Especially on units with exposed gears, but the gears get overloaded even on the ones with covered gears. Replacing the "stirrer" with something smaller might help.
I've probably never had a unit last for 700# of lime. Maybe a drop spreader would last longer for lime.