Broadcast spreaders

Just bought the broadcast spreader from hell. Got it at Tractor Supply for $80. I'm sorry I set my "cheap" $30 one on the curb, and some lucky person took it.

The hopper on this thing doesn't funnel it towards the opening. The handles are already bent after the first use. Hate to sound racist, but I know why the Chinese have slanted eyes. The assembly instructions are printed so small, you either have to squint or get a magnifying glass to read them!

Anyone recommend a walk behind broadcast spreader, which they are happy with? The place where I bought my cheap one, has long been out of business, it was a no-name brand spreader.

Thanks

Reply to
Larry

I bought a Scott branded one a few years ago. Seems to work well enough and was simple to assemble.

I wouldn't call it "heavy duty" by any means, but it gets the job done for me. They have two models and the higher priced one is less than what you paid. $55 or so

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

$80???

What kind of spreader are you looking for? What size and capacity?

I paid $24 CDN for this Scott's one at Homedepot Canada during an end of season sale and I've been happy but have no idea what your needs are. My lot is 60' by 120' so this one is good enough for me and I take advantage of the edge'stop feature so it doesn't fertilize my gardens or neighbour's yard.

Yeah it's cheaply made but had it for 4 years with no problem.

I would never paid $54 for it but they often go on sale for 10 or 15 dollars off during the season to get people into the store to buy other things (like profitable bags of fertilizer)

Reply to
Duesenberg

Every one I have ever had has had "issues". Some don't feed right. Others clog. Others spread unevenly, and in three months, there are big green places where you either overlapped or stopped and some extra ran out. I hate those carry ones, as the weight gets to me after about ten minutes. I'm watching this, cuz I need a decent one, too. I had one that had a windmill thing under the bucket that threw the stuff pretty good and evenly. But the plastic went to hell, and the whole thing shortly thereafter.

Maybe I'll make one.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Hi, Same here with that green hopper. Not commercial quality but good for home use.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I think I got the Scott's 3000 spreader. I've had it a couple of years with no problem. It's all plastic so I wouldn't use it for commercial use but for home use it's fine. One thing tho, I always wash it after every use and oil it up perhaps every 2 or 3 uses. So far it's as good as new. I don't remember what I paid for it.

Reply to
Doug

Yep, $80. It got returned to Tractor Supply yesterday. Just using the spreader for my own property, lots not much larger than yours, it's 100' x

200'. Putting right around 40lbs of fert in it.
Reply to
Larry

When I bought my house I got a drop spreader. Wasn't too good at that, so I made stripes on the lawn. Put that one on the curb. Then I got a small Scott's broadcast. Used it a few times. Didn't like how it feeds and throws. Throw distance depends on how fast you push and consistent flow. It's been sitting the garage uverhead for maybe 8 years.

Bought a little jobber you hold and crank. Holds maybe a 2 quarts. Pretty exact, but you need to take a wheelbarrow with you so you can keep refilling. The last 2 years I just take the wheelbarrow with the bag of fertilizer/weed killer, grab a handful and throw it. Downwind. Works well.

Seems hand/eye coordination gets you even distribution. You have to wash your hands right after so you don't poison yourself. Think I'll use gloves this year, though I don't like using gloves for hand work. I don't have a huge lawn, maybe 5000 sq ft. And I don't do it all. Just where there's weeds or areas the grass looks like it needs perking up. I don't want it lush where I have to mow too much. But it looks good enough.

--Vic

Reply to
Vic Smith

Larry, I can't help you much but I recall seeing from a distance a commercial spreader. I think it was cylindrical (perhaps 2 foot in height), made of metal and I remember it had real air filled rubber tires. I never saw the brand but it definitely looked heavy duty compared to the one's I've seen for home use including my own.

Reply to
Doug

Got my Scotts free. Forget how many bags of fertilizer I needed to buy.

Reply to
clare

If you have a large lawn, use one of these bad boys:

Abraham O'Malley

The application of the small video camera is way cool. Those things are getting very affordable, and high quality. I want one.

When I lived in Louisiana, crop dusting was very popular. And unnerving when you're driving down some country road and you get buzzed by a low flying airplane.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B