Briggs and Stratton Engine Problem

Page 2 of 2
On 7/5/2011 4:02 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote: ...

Over 10% ethanol? It's been that here and prior to that in TN for over 10 years and I really can't see a whole lot of difference other than mileage from the lower Btu content.
Green goop sounds like chemical reaction w/ something in the fuel system--is it intended for ethanol? So far, even w/ the very old JD yard equipment (some as early as mid/late-60s, other in mid-70s) I've not seen any problems even though there was no thought whatsoever back then about ethanol and still were intended to run on leaded.
The old grain truck that use as the seed tender any more is a '58 Chevy C60 (tagged for 38M gross for idea) has 283 and still runs "ok". It needs rings and cam but gets the job done so suspect at my age it'll outlast me and whoever gets it at the auction can fix it up... :)
I did use lead-replacement additive in it, but it's become so tough to find so quit a few years ago...

water. Worse in mowers that are stored outside or in extremes of temperature and high humidity - but DEFINITELY not uncommon - and no better than in the days of leaded gas.
On 7/5/2011 8:22 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

Never seen it for some reason...perhaps because it's pretty dry in SW KS; but that wouldn't explain no problems in E TN (altho there was more no ethanol there at the time, I never really hunted it out)...
Curious...

Do you have the rest of the summer to mess with it and learn about small engines in the process? That's what it's going to take to get it fixed.
If not I suggest you get your mower to the nearest JD lawn/garden equipment dealer for repair ASAP.
You're going to be taking apart things that were never meant to be taken apart, and if you don't have experience with those sorts of things, you could end up with a pile of parts and no idea how to get them back together. God forbid you break something in the process.
There could be any number of things wrong with your mower. First and most common, a dirty or gummed up carburetor. Could be anything, though.
On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 21:20:32 -0700 (PDT), finiteguy

fuel treatment from NAPA, and then run premium shell gas if you can get it - or any other ethanol free fuel.
Follow the instructions on the sea-foam can.
On Mon, 4 Jul 2011 21:20:32 -0700 (PDT), finiteguy

Drain all gas from carb and tank Pour about 4 ounces of liquid carb/injector cleaner into tank Disconnect spark plug and pull cord a dozen times Go away for a couple of hours Remove plug and clean Fill tank with fresh gas Install plug and connect lead Start mower
Over the years this method has only failed me once necessitating carb disassembly. FWIW YMMV