Breaker Panel - Wasps help!

All fired up to install my new transfer switch with my new generator. I open the breaker panel only to find the entire bottom lined with 100's of (somewhat dormant) wasps. That knockout at the bottom seems a bit hard to get to now! The panel is in my basement (northeast) and I'd say is about 55 degrees. A few of them were moving slowly so I closed up the panel right quick.
Any ideas on how to remove them? I was thinking some wasp spray and a wet dry vac with the main breaker off.
On 11/25/2012 12:28 PM, noname wrote:

the breaker panel only to find the entire bottom lined with 100's of (somewhat dormant) wasps. That knockout at the bottom seems a bit hard to get to now! The panel is in my basement (northeast) and I'd say is about 55 degrees. A few of them were moving slowly so I closed up the panel right quick.

Yellow jackets, I'd spray, but regular wasps I'd just break up and shop vac and dispose outdoors. I've never been stung by them but many times by yellow jackets.
Also, there is no next just hundreds of them piled up on each other maybe 20 or so moving slowly before I closed up the panel.
On Sunday, November 25, 2012 12:44:49 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote

I meant no NEST. Strange they are just laying there on top of each other.
On Sunday, November 25, 2012 12:57:18 PM UTC-5, noname wrote:

On 11/25/2012 11:58 AM, noname wrote:

Not this time of year, no...
Just suck 'em out and go on. Nothing to see here.
On 11/25/2012 12:58 PM, noname wrote:

Should be cool enough to just remove them with shop vac. Suit up with clothes, gloves and a head net if you are worried about getting stung. This time of year I doubt that they would swarm all over the house.
I'm a little nervous around yellow jackets as I seem to be more susceptible to their sting these days.

Please don't top post. Bottom posting is the accepted method in this group.i
On 11/25/2012 11:28 AM, noname wrote:

Sure. I find 'em all the time (along w/ black widows, brown recluse, various other stingy/crawlies...)
No biggie.

the breaker panel only to find the entire bottom lined with 100's of (somewhat dormant) wasps. That knockout at the bottom seems a bit hard to get to now! The panel is in my basement (northeast) and I'd say is about 55 degrees. A few of them were moving slowly so I closed up the panel right quick.

killer is highly flammable - don't want a spark from the vac brushes to blow those wasps all over the basement

Freeze spray. It comes in an aerosol can and is used in electronics to temporarily freeze a part on the board. It's not flammable as far as I know (read the can).
If you spray them with the main breaker off, how will you power the shop vac?
You must have a place they are getting in, probably an open and unused hole on the entrance head. I'd caulk that hole with silicone. They could eventually cause a short circuit, not to mention other problems.
On Sun, 25 Nov 2012 21:58:44 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@home.com wrote:

If the vac has a plastic nozzle, why turn off the power, just be careful. Stand back and suck them out of there. Take it outside release the latches and kick it over. If it is that cold, they won't last long. You want duct seal for the service entrance, not silicone.
noname wrote:

ONE MORE reason to not fark around with transfer switches!
On Monday, November 26, 2012 11:32:45 AM UTC-5, HeyBub wrote:

Still gotta crack open the breaker panel. Going to do battle next weekend. Thanks everyone for the input.