brain-dead WWV 'atomic clock'

Time again for the twice a year 'atomic clock' thread. Mine reset itself just like it should last night, but sometime today set itself back to daylight time. I tried a force reset, but ten minutes later the hands had gone from wrong time back to correct daylight time.

This seems to happen with every single time change or dead battery.

Did anyone ever come up with a diagnosis, last time around?

Reply to
aemeijers

Hmmm Maybe the reception of WWV signal is poor. Try the clock at different spot in the house.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I got three that worked as they should and have the correct time, one didn't. I just pulled the battery and put it back in and there it goes.....

Reply to
Mr. Austerity

Is it possible that the clock thinks you are in a different time zone?

Reply to
hrhofmann

Well, the button I held down while pushing the force reset said 'ET' on it....

Mebbe I'll try pulling and reinstalling battery, or putting in a fresh one if I have that size in stock. (I've been avoiding buying batteries till I use up all the old over-age ones laying around.)

Reply to
aemeijers

I have an inexpensive bedroom clock. It is not an atomic clock and it doesn't use WWV but somehow it always resets correctly at the time change. I don't know how it does this.

---MIKE---

In the White Mountains of New Hampshire (44=EF=BF=BD 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Reply to
---MIKE---

I don't have a diagnosis, but I have one like that. It is a Sharp And it works the morning after the change, then resets itself sometime in the afternoon. But the good thing is that the next day, this morning this time around, it is correct again. So the thing to do is to ignore it on the day it resets. It has bugged me for some time how it does that. Obviously some problem in the programming. However, I have another one, same model, that I bought later. They "fixed" that one. Now it is programmed to change by date, not by the flag on the time signal. So it changes by the old DST schedule. It was an hour behind for the past week, and will be an hour ahead for a month come Spring. I lived with it for the past week, but come Spring I will go ahead and change the time zone so it reads right.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

That one is programmed with the time change in the processor inside the clock. I have one like that, only mine was built before they changed the DST dates. So it is off by an hour for a month in the Spring and an week in the Fall. The thing that amazes me is how accurate it is. It hangs right in there almost on time for months at a time. Of course if the battery goes dead you lose it and have to reset it.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

Speaking of, I have one of these and I love it, the time and date are always correct and it recharges the battery.... I wish they made a dress watch like this,

Mr. Austerity

They used to. I have a model wva-430a with a stainless steel case and link bracelet that I purchased at a military exchange about 3-4 years ago. It has worked flawlessly. When I am outside the US and cannot connect to the time signal, the quartz movement keeps time to within about 2-3 seconds/month.

I see on the web that every link to that model shows out of stock or otherwise unavailable. Hard to believe that Casio didn't sell enough to warrant continued manufacture. I love mine. I'd really love an equivalent watch that picks up the European time signals as well as the US and Japanese ones. The only ones I've seen are manufactured by boutique companies and cost 10 times or more what I paid for the Casio.

Maybe you can luck out finding a used one on-line although I wonder why anyone who owns one would want to dispose of it unless it was faulty.

Reply to
Peter

I think you can get fancier atomic watches, but I didn't want to pay the extra price for one. Mine has been working fine.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Gill

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (---MIKE---) wrote in news:26226-4EB7E435-2051 @storefull-3172.bay.webtv.net: