bottle jack to raise dormer/room

I have a second floor dormer/room that had dropped a few inches on one end (before I bought the property) due to a poor support design. I now have it supported from underneath and I want to try jacking it up a little at a time using a 20-ton bottle jack on each of the two exterior corners. It actually needs to go up about 4 inches in order for the dormer/room floor to become level again. I don't know if that will be possible, but I want to try jacking it up a little at a time and see if that will be feasible. I expect cracks etc., but I am redoing the house so that is not an issue or problem.

My question is, what can I put on top of the bottle jacks to spread the load out over a larger surface area. I assume I can look for and buy a couple of small steel plates to put on top of each bottle jack, but I am not sure. Or, is there something that is made for this that is available?

Thanks.

P.S.

Reply to
BETA-35

My question is, what can I put on top of the bottle jacks to spread the load out over a larger surface area. I assume I can look for and buy a couple of small steel plates to put on top of each bottle jack, but I am not sure. Or, is there something that is made for this that is available?

Thanks.

P.S. -- I tried posting this 3 times yesterday, and tried to attach two photos each time. It doesn't look like any of those posts appeared. I am using Outlook Express for a newsreader. What do I need to do to be able to attach or include photos?

**************************************************************************8

Use a large timber to spread out the force. Perhaps a 4x6 or 4x8 under the joists to spread out the force under the whole area being lifted. Or more, depending on the length of the area being lifted.

Pictures are only allowed in newsgroups with the word "binaries" in their name. Many servers automatically drop binaries from non-binary newsgroups, which means most people won't be albe to see them. Put the pictures on a website, and include a URL for the picture in your posting.

Reply to
Bob F

You don't post binaries to a non binary newsgroup. You post a link to the photos on a photo hosting website. Most newservers either delete binary posts on non binary groups, or they strip out the binary. Many newservers, I should say.

Reply to
Robert Allison

photos each time. =A0It doesn't look like any of those posts appeared. =A0I= am using Outlook Express for a newsreader. =A0What do I need to do to be ab= le to attach or include photos?

A screw jack is cheap and will help with control, you want to do it over weeks or more.

Reply to
ransley

photos each time. =A0It doesn't look like any of those posts appeared. =A0I= am using Outlook Express for a newsreader. =A0What do I need to do to be ab= le to attach or include photos?

4" is alot, walls will crack, doors and windows will be issues, go slow
Reply to
ransley

....... Put the pictures on a website, and include a URL for the picture in your posting. Okay, hopefully this link will work:

Rather than using a piece of timber directly on the top of the bottle jack, I am thinking I will need something like a steel plate. The reason is that I think the top of the bottle jack will push up into any piece of timber I use.

The space I have to work with (for the bottle jack) is about 11 inches between the top of the support column and the the cross-braces I added that will be jacked up.

Reply to
BETA-35

And 3 wrongs don't make a right (posting the same pictures 3 times with slightly altered subject lines doesn't help). Neither does the inappropriate use of HTML.

Reply to
Sam E

I've used bottle jacks to do some pretty amazing things. Even the little two ton ones. Yes, steel plate is good to use. You can probably get some scraps at the local steel supplier or recycler, or just scrounge. I make jacks out of pipe and the masonry screw corner things, then put a jack on top of that, screw it up, and start pumping. Handy things, and not expensive. Pretty sturdy and stiff. I found the screw corners at yard sales for a buck apiece. Bet they cost a lot more than that new.

BIG CAUTION .... be sure the base you are putting the jack on is substantial and will take the weight. Also make sure that it won't kick out sideways. Always put pieces in between jack rather than using the screw out foot, as lengthening the foot makes it more unstable.

Jack short distances, then brace, reset, and jack short distance. If the worst happens, it's supported, and will only fall a short distance.

Go slow. Be safe.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Have a screw jack also, If the hydraulic jack fails or you dont control it right alot of damage can occur

Reply to
ransley

Maybe one day, if I try really really hard, I'll get to be perfect like you.

Reply to
BETA-35

....... Put the pictures on a website, and include a URL for the picture in your posting. Okay, hopefully this link will work:

Rather than using a piece of timber directly on the top of the bottle jack, I am thinking I will need something like a steel plate. The reason is that I think the top of the bottle jack will push up into any piece of timber I use.

The space I have to work with (for the bottle jack) is about 11 inches between the top of the support column and the the cross-braces I added that will be jacked up.

************************************************************* You could used a steel plate, or a chunk of hardwood, if it is really a problem.
Reply to
Bob F

A scrap recycling place may have some metal pieces to use. Steel isn't very expensive now days, in the recycling world.

You need to post to a group that uses the word "binary" in the name, in order to post photos.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon