Bostitch Nailgun SB-1850BN (air at trigger, does not cycle)

This thing has less than 20 hours and looks brand new (passed warranty). I contacted Stanley/Bostitch and replaced just about every seal this thing has, including the trigger valve. Using 110psi, I press the trigger and air comes out of the trigger but the gun does not fire (cycle). I'm not about to send this to be repaired since I've seen these refurbished for around $50. Any ideas? When I put it away last July, it worked.

Reply to
Tomas

Pardon my ignorance but I was under the impression that pneumatic nail guns only fire when the nose piece is pushed against the surface to be nailed.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I do not mean to OPERATING PRESSURE:

70 to 100 p.s.i.g. (4.9 to 7.0 kg/cm2). Select the operating pressure within this range for best fastener performance. DO NOT EXCEED THIS RECOMMENDED OPERATING PRESSURE.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Just dropping a little oil in the air inlet may not be nough for a gun that has set up for a while. The gun may not be working well enough for the oil to get where it needs to be. Take the gun apart and reassemble replacing parts as needed. Apply oil while its apart.

Jimmie

Reply to
JIMMIE

I decided to tear it down one last time and see if I could find anything obvious or a blockage. I did notice something new: there was a very small "air" tunnel in the top part of the head, near the exhaust? It did not appear to be blocked but I blew it out with compressed air just to be safe. I applied some light oil (already had lube) to some of the o-rings. But this time when I put the piston back in, I just barely put it in. Before I pushed it all the way down. Not sure if that made a difference. I reassembled, crossed my fingers and "bang", it works!

Reply to
Tomas

On Saturday, March 5, 2011 11:28:03 AM UTC-6, Tomas wrote: I... replaced just about every seal this thing has... I press the trigger a nd air comes out of the trigger but the gun does not fire (cycle). I just spent 3 hours overhauling my Hitachi NV65AH and it was doing the sam e thing. After dismantling it and reassembling it I realized that the gaske t was blocking the "small air tunnel" as you put it. She works like a charm . Amazing that you can't find much info about these problems on the web tod ay.

So, make sure the exhaust head cover gasket is not blocking the little smal l hole that looks like a screw can go in it (flip the gasket over). Also do n't snap the exhaust valve all the way in or push the cylinder all the way down.

Reply to
frankwhoa

My gun has no air coming out know where

Reply to
jdauzat11

My Bostitch Nailer RN44B has oil and air coming out of the trigger. Can anyone suggest what i should do. I have it torn apart and I don't really see anything wrong.

Reply to
dorib999

Order replacement kit...

Reply to
dpb

I have done all of the above suggestions with my SB 1842bn including repla cement parts,including oiling all the O-rings, cycling the piston by hand, and including checking the air pressure plus having the proper nails, and it still leaks at the trigger. I've gone through the gun three times, makin g sure there are no burrs on the piston shaft. The only thing I can find i s that the piston seems to hang up ever so slightly towards the top of the cylinder. After applying more oil it seems to move fairly well. btw - I'm a former machinist so I know my way around a wrench. Now what do I do? Any h elp would be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Reply to
pastorjoeardy

Have you contacted the company that made the tool, see what their customer service can advise? The one or two times I've done that, I've been very pleased.

My highest respect for TPI brand natural gas leak detectors, who helped me diagnose a bad detector when I called the toll free number. I'd got the unit on Ebay, and they didn't owe me any thing. But they were so completely nice about it.

Stormin Mormon

Great idea I'll give that a shot. Thanks

Reply to
pastorjoeardy

Good on you.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I have a similar problem. Will bot fire nail. Seemed like he trigger wasn't working properly. Took out the 'roll pins' and found that the valve that c ontrols the depth of the nail was nor allowing the safety on the trigger to engage, when pulled. cleaned and was able to get one nail to set and the p roblem returned. Looks like the adjustment for the pressure/switch release is faulty. Haven't contacted Bostitch. Of course I didn't keep my receipt!!

Reply to
rjohnseninc

Okay fellas, here's the fix: Turns out, its either a design flaw or planned obsolescence. The problem is in the trigger. The little pin that gets pushed in, doesn't go in far enough to activate the trigger. I took the trigger out and instead of trying to add on something to the plastic pin (green on my stapler), i took it apart and sanded down the barrel that surrounds it so that the pin could be pushed in farther. Turns out, that alone wasn't enough. I had to add a piece of plastic over the metal ride on the trigger, to push the pin up a bit more. In my case, i cut out a piece of plastic from a body puddy spreader, and used a glue gun to hold it in place. You can fix it any way you want, may cut out a piece of 1/8" aluminum and JB Weld it in. I don't use mine very often so the glue gun was good enough for me. In any case, you'll have to both sand down the barrel surrounding the plastic pin and add something to the trigger to give it more Umph! Nothing i did effects the safety mechanism. But, upon completion it works ever time you pull the trigger. I didn't replace any O-rings, this was all it took to get it working like new. I realize that it's a little dangerous to test the pin so .... just take my word for it, this is the problem and it fixes the problem.

Reply to
Vernon Maldonado

Oh, the Bostitch stapler and nailer i am referring to is the S32SX and the BT50B

Reply to
Vernon Maldonado