Boiler Firebox Material

My Bock oil fired heater seems to have a cement fire chamber. Is it cement or another material? I would love to rebuild the fire chamber in my current boiler using cement. However, I'm afraid it would crack from the heat. Currently my fire chamber is in good condition but I'm thinking about the future. Any opinions? I changed the fire chamber once. It uses an asbestos like material. The boiler is 27 years old. Please spare me get a pro and you'll burn your family down lines.

Thanks

Reply to
Houseslave

It is not cement, but a special refractory material; you can buy 50 pound containers of a pre-mixed product. It may be lined with fire refractory brick and then coated. There is a regular fire brick such as lining for a fireplace, and there is a special high temperature material used in boilers. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Houseslave

Refractory cement. The stuff our boiler guy uses is made by St. Gobain/Norton Co. and is marked MK ll06. I don't know if a plumbing supply would have it but anyone that does industrial boilers would. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Do it yourself and save! Good Gosh...you know, you can buy that cement for almost nothing. If you pay more than $5 a gallon, you paid too much.

BTW, chances are, its not a cement at all, but a Kaowool liner.

Reply to
CBHvac

Reply to
70's