Blue Tooth home phone

Page 1 of 2
Several companies sell home phone systems that can I believe use your cell phone to make and take calls. Anybody know if these work well. It would be nice to have a desk phone that uses your cell. I saw an ATT ad.
ransley wrote:

I often use a BT headset with my cellphone thats sitting on the counter plugged into the charger. I can make calls with voice dialing and answer with the headset. I don't think adding a desk phone to the mix would add anything.

If you have cable internet Ooma is a great VOIP. No monthly bills after you buy the unit..

I question any need for a home phone these days..........

OP's question is about a product that can be used with or without a landline and I believe they handle 2 cell phones. From what I know...you have to find out if your carrier is compatible. (I don't think it is strictly a BT issue)

I'm keeping mine. Works during power failures (and does not need charging), and is much more comfortable to use with a real handset. Is easier for multiple users since you can answer on one phone and another can pick up an extension on another floor to get the call. I keep my home phone separate from my cell, sort of like two lives. Sometimes I don't want to be contracted, especially if I'm out, my insurance agent has no need to get a hold of me.

Haven't yet done a thorough check of Grand Central, but the reason my wife and I maintain a home/land line is for people who want to call either of us, not just one or the other. This way, when mom and dad call, they can talk to either or both of us, instead of having to decide which cell phone they're going to call this time...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Probably the only *good* reason is for the 911 folks.
Mark

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Probably the only *good* reason is for the 911 folks.
Mark

I'm not sure I understand your need. You want a phone set that will make calls through another phone? Why not just use that phone to make the calls?

This product (as I understand it) is a landline base cordless answering machine that allow you to answer your cell thru blue tooth..

Its just a landline phone with cordless handsets that can also be programed so you can use your Cell provider, through Bluetooth , through your cellphone. So if you are charging the cell phone in one room you can still answer and make cell calls with the handsets in other rooms. Or you dont need to carry your Cell on you to use it around home. I think Vtech said something like 12 BlueTooth cell phones can be programmed in. I get tired of having to be sure my cell is always nearby and not near discharged, this is just your regular cordless, that also controls your Cell. I dont think you would even need a Landline to use it , as I am thinking. Vtech, GE, Att, Panasonic all have Blue Tooth, land line, cordless systems now, and they are priced fairly cheap. I just googled, Blue Tooth Home Phones
snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote in wrote:

With a hard wired home phone you can only make calls at home. I ported my home phone # to my prepaid cell that only costs me $10 each month. My home phone bill was $45 each month. I hardly make any calls, so that works out for me.
I can charge my cell phone in my car while driving to work. No exra cost involved.
It all depends on how much you use the phone. I try to avoid talking on the phone. Your mileage may vary.
On Tue 26 May 2009 08:40:02a, told us...

Your suggestion is fine if you don't mind being tethered to the phone by a cord. Personally, I hate that. Cordless land line phones still use electricity to charge the handset.
What we've done... We have a land line, but it is only connected to our security system and our fax machine. The line is the most basic with absolutely no "features". Very inexpensive. We use cell phones exclusively for communication. Mostly we talk to each other, so no minutes are used, and we never exceed our allotted minutes even while making long distance calls. We usually charge our cell phones either in the car or at work. No increase in our electric bill.
--
Wayne Boatwright

I do the same, my landline is now fax and alarm only. I am discussing a new type of phone system, Landline + Bluetooth in one unit, then your home phone also does your Cell, even with multiple cordless handsets.

I am going to drop my home line altogether, although I will keep my copper business line.its very reliable
Verizon FIOS home line has had way too many troubles, including bad noise on incoming calls, battery failure of fios box, echo, now a ping sound......
fios tech support is useless, it took months and finally my calling EVER DAY FOR 3 WEEKS! to get the noisey router replaced, it effected every fios customer in our prefix.
took weeks to get a new battery and they wanted me to pay for it, the system was 6 months old. stupid alarm went on endlessely, reps didnt know box had a alarm silence button
currently the main fios line in our neighborhood is supporting a large tree on a abandoned right of way left over when these homes were built in 1950. verizon has a company policy against all tree trimming..... they wait till the line comes down and charge the property owner.
this will likely cause large outages from storms.
the utility poles are bending and leaning from the trees weight
verizon uses the contract to hide behind rotten service, its truly sad
come october my contract is over, and thats the end of verizon live by the brand die by the brand
bob haller wrote:

I have had a phone line for 36 year from Illinois Bell, Ameritech, new at&t (35 miles southwest of downtown Chicago) and have been royally spoiled. I am a 31 year veteran in the telephony business. I am now living in Verizon country (western NC) and everything about the company is bad. My temporary land line in very noisy. On one call the audible levels are super high, on the next you can barely hear without turning up the volume on the phone. There is 60Hz hum on the line all the time. You "hear" lightening on the line when there's a storm. The DSL is very slow during peak times of the day. The customer support is the biggest joke I have ever seen. The only time I experience such bad support was from the cable company outside of Chicago when it was owned by the old AT&T, but is was all cable company people. Here in NC I have seen DSL speeds of 50KHz during the busy periods. The "tech", reading from a script in Asia, had me changing cables on the DSL modem and "making sure the modem was plugged directly into the wall and not into an outlet strip!" When I finally move to my new house, the line comes from a remote facility that serves and small industrial park, so I'm hoping for better. If I can do anything to avoid Verizon, I will.
On May 28, 4:42am, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.com wrote:

Bluetooth is an IBM developed, wireless technology used by many cell phones to use hands-free operation. (earpiece/mic and voice commands- there are other uses,but this is its basic use). These cordless phones would integrate land-line and cell. The cell or cells could be left plugged-in (charging) and in a spot for a good signal. It doesn't need a land-line to work and other options may be available...depending on the manufacturer. HTH
On May 29, 6:03am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Right, I consider it an extra Cell phone, one I wouldnt care if it got wet working outside. It sounds like a good idea, when my cell is dead and at the charger id have another phone to use anywhere around home. Some of the units come with 4-6 handsets.
On Thu 28 May 2009 02:24:52a, told us...

I suppose that depends on the phone. Cordless phones we have owned in the past were plugged into both the telco line and the a.c. line.

--
Wayne Boatwright