Blowing a fan on a radiator

Hi,
We have one old style radiator that's just not releasing all its heat. The return pipe is just as hot as the supply pipe. So, not that it's such a great idea from the cost perspective, but would it help to have a fan blowing air onto the radiator?
Thanks.

Maybe try it, Is it HW is it bled of air, or steam, if one pipe steam is radiator level it should not be, venting can get more heat. I put 1" foilfaced insulation behind radiators on exterior walls, it helps.

It is releasing heat. The question is, is it releasing enough to heat the room to the level you want it to? Is the radiator part of a loop system? A fan will help move more heat, but that does not change the underlying situation of being adequate size for the room. If you go the fan route, just a small fan on lowest speed will move a lot of air and remove a lot of heat.
ransley wrote:

How many layers of paint on it, and how 'tea kettled' is it? Office I work in used to have those everywhere, and still does in some rooms. 75 years worth of paint and mineral-laden water or steam took their toll. In the off season, they started taking them out one-by-one for stripping and shot-blasting the outside, and chemically cleaning the insides. Outsides were then powder-coated with heat-proof paint. The following season, they worked a whole lot better. I guess the rework cost too much, because they switched to just swapping in modern radiators with integral blowers.
-- aem sends....

..
Good Point.
On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 05:15:32 -0800 (PST), ransley

Absolutely amazing how stupid you are ransley. The op said, "The return pipe is just as hot as the supply pipe." What part of that statement makes you think it is a one pipe steam??? Your head is as hard as a damn brick. Please go back to school and have someone teach you how to read and comprehend. Bubba
It should. My Dad has one, in the back room of the house where it's usually cold. Please try it, and let us know. His, the fan is way down low on the floor, and blows towards the radiator.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus