Blower motor died on a 18 year old Furnace: Update.

Page 2 of 2
On 20 Dec 2005 14:56:12 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Mine is 26 years old. 27 seasons at the end of this season. . One of my neighbors with the same furnace at the same age had his replaced a month ago.
I had to replace the fan motor too. I screwed up, coudln't get it out of the housing, and paid them. Shame on me.
Also, the first summer I had the house, the transformer powering the thing failed. They wanted 200 something for the control unit, but I whined a bit and he offerred to sell me a transformer that didn't fit physically but has worked electrically for 22 years. I mounted it inside the furnace panel and ran wires from it to the circuit board. I suppose I sealed the hole where the original transformer had been, but right now I'm not sure.
They say I could save money with a more efficient furnace, but the plan is to fix all house leaks and see how much I really use. After I had been here a year or two, my oil supplier said I used less oil than any of my neighbors that he supplied. Don't know why, but I think he was telling the truth, because the question was whether to have the furance cleaned.

:I just went to Grainger and brought my whole assembly there with me. : We took the motor off the wheel (took a little convincing, but came : off) and the guy looked up the replacement. My original is a 1/2 hp GE : unit, the replacement he found was a Dayton 1/2 hp same rpm (can't : remember now), same shaft, the only difference is the replacement is 3 : speed, the original is 4 speed. I had the high and low connected to : what probably is cooling and heating. I noted down all the connections : when I removed the original and will hook up the new one the same way. : Total cost with the new capacitor: $69.20. If this works when I : install after work tonight, I will have saved a lot of money. Thanks to : all for encouraging me to replace. My hesitation was due to lack of : knoweledge of where to get the replacement. Grainger seems pretty good : for that. : : Thanks! : Vladimir :
It's so great when a plan comes together, isn't it? A little common sense, some intelligence and a smattering of experience somewhere can save a diy-er lots of bread. Now, take the money you saved, put half in the bank, and blow the rest on something nice for yourself; you deserve it, IMO.
Glad you posted back.
Pop

Poor advice. Take the money you save and buy a case of beer for everyone that helped you with this project. We'll be even more willing to help in the future.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

wrote in message

I like Sam Adams Winter Lagar....
;-]

Hey, I like that idea..... Life without beer is not life !!!
I'll be the first to get the start of which brand everyone wants. This website has almost every beer in the world listed, including pictures... http://www.mylifeisbeer.com
And this site has the official Christmas Beer advent calendar,,, Pretty cool !!!
http://www.thebrewsite.com
By the time you finish looking at these sites you will be so thirsty you will REQUIRE a beer. Stock up in advance !!!!!
I wont be fussy, Just email me a Budweiser.... The old standby, and it always satisfies me !!!
Mark
On 20 Dec 2005 13:36:35 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

You're very welcome. Glad to be of help. Grainger is a good place. I have always found them very helpful. You did it the right way by taking the whole blower along. Dayton is their brand, and it's good. I would not worry about the 3 speed VS the original 4 speed. If you have to swap a wire in the summer for cooling, thats not a big deal. Most likely you wont have to do anything, 3 speeds are plenty. I'm just glad you got heat again.
From reading your other post, I think that furnace place was really trying to rob you. I'd avoid them. An 18 year old gas furnace is not all that old. Gas furnaces are not that complicated, at least not the older ones. You can actually check the heat exchanger yourself by removing the panel and simply looking for any cracks or imperfections. Or find a trustworthy furnace repair company to inspect it for you.
The advice to get a CO alarm is good advice. You saved a lot of money, so go get yourself a CO alarm for about $20. When you inspect your heat exchanger, vacuum out any debris in there with a shop vac. Keeping it clean prolongs everything.
One last thing. I hope you oiled the bearings on the squirrel case blower. If they are tight, that could have added to the motor burning out. Be sure to oil them at least twice a year.
Merry Christmas