Blow torch, propane torch

Page 2 of 3

I may be one of them, not sure. Set me straight, please. I don't want to behave like those who don't know what a blow torch is.

Drill bit From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Jump to: navigation, search Drill bits are cutting tools used to create cylindrical holes. Bits are held in a tool called a drill, which rotates them and provides axial force to create the hole.

If this bothers someone they should never live in the South. We don't mash potatoes, we mash the lights to turn them on and off. If you "don't care to do something" it means you do want to do it. If someone understands what I mean, then the words are correct. Let my prim and proper Boston English teacher turn over in her grave.
Bob

Almost, but not always. If someone says "I used a blowtorch to solder the fittings" chances are it makes no difference in context.
If, though, a person asks a question how do you know what the response should be. Each of the following requires a different answer.
1. How do I light my blowtorch
2. How do I light my Oxy Acetylene torch
3. How do I troubleshoot may MAPP gas torch with push button start
4. How do I light my propane torch
Replace the type of torch in the last three questions with "blowtorch" and you will not be able to give a proper answer. Precise use of the written word is never wrong, but slang and sloppy use can be disastrous.
Want to be confused: An airplane can be a plane, but a plane can never be an airplane.
Where I work, we make boxes. Sometimes customers want them in cartons.
I wore my heavy coat today because the temperature was 20. I'm packing a suitcase for my trip with short sleeved shirts because it will be 20 degrees when I arrive.
mm wrote:

It bothers me about as much as someone referring to a "steam roller" when clearly any steam rollers still existing are valuable collector's items. And it bothers me far less than sleazy politicians (an oxymoron, I know) and any number of other daily annoyances.
And I do know how to use and have used a blowtorch (oh so many years ago) and given the choice I'd never trade one for my nice self-igniting pushbutton propane torch, thank you very much.
--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]

I didn't say a propane torch wasn't better, only that they are different things.
But since you bring it up, aren't blow torches hotter? I'm not sure why I think they are, except that they burn gasoline, which somehow seems hotter to me than propane.

John McGaw wrote:

"Sleazy politician" is a redundancy, not an oxymoron :-)
--
--Marc

my peeve is ATM Machine, or any other acronym where folks feel like they have to say the last word of what they are talking about...why not say, ATM and leave it at that? why do we feel compelled to say "machine"?
an oxymoron is sometimes ironic and always contradicting...like honest politician, deafening silence, military intelligence, calling a tall man shorty, a fat man tiny, or a bald man curly.
sleazy politician is an editorial, an opinion, and unfortunately, a bunch of the time true.

I hear "PIN Number" a lot.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I always call it a password and the people at the bank rarely know what I'm talking about.

I think these last three have another name that is more specific than oxymoron. One that pretty much only applies to examples like yours. but I forget what it is called.

A steamroller is a type of heavy machinery which consists of a large tractor and a heavy cylinder that sits in front of it and functions as the front wheel. Steamrollers are generally used in paving roads, to flatten out the surface.

So I guess that the blow torch of yester year has evolved into the blow torn of today aka the propane torch.
How many of us have several 'cressent wrenches"?

Even that wouuldn't be so bad. But they were just called propane torches for decades, and only in the last decade have some started callihg them blow torches. If they got along without calling them blow torches for decades, they could have managed forever.

I do. I have several crescent wrenches. Not all by Crescent.
I have water pump pliers, too.

When gasoline torches are the default type of blowtorch, you call a propane torch something different to make the distinction. SInce gasoline torches are now vanishingly rare, it makes perfect sense to apply the generic term "blowtorch" to the most common form in use: The propane torch.

Makes no sensr to me. If a propane torch becomes a blow torch, then it is no longer a propane torch. Now that MAPP gass is becoming more popular, that makies it even more confusing. George Forman aside, our parents usually give our siblings different names so we know who they and who they aren't.

Thats because you decided a-priori that "blowtorch" was a species name, and not a genus name, when in fact "Propane torch", "Gasoline torch", "Mapp Torch", and "Oxy-Acetylene torch" are all species designations within the genus "blowtorch".

I didn't decide anything. The blowtorch was, and still is, a specific type of torch. It existed and co-existed along with many other types of torches. I was not the one that named it, but perhaps the inventor did. Genus name is "torch", but there are specific types, not to be confused with others.
You post from an edu account. Perhaps you have been in the hall of ivy for a long time rather than work in the trades. If you asked someone at a jobsite to bring you a blowtorch, you got a blowtorch, not a propane, MAPP, or other type. Go check with the old timers in the maintenance department.

They are ALL blow torches and work on the exact same principle. Some you pressurize by operating a hand pump, and some used pressurized gas. Lazy speak has made a "propane blow torch" into a "propane 'torch". The pumping you do by hand on an old style blowtorch is for the purpose of pressurizing the fuel. That is not the air used to make the fuel burn hotter. The additional air for combustion is added by use of the venturi effect and non pressurized air. An oxy-acetelye blowtorch substitutes a source of pressurized oxygen for the non-prssurized ambient air to achieve higher temps.
The term "blow torch" describes a device with a flame which is accelerated by pressurized gas and can be directed. This is to distinguish it from a torch which is not pressurized and does not "blow" the flame.