Blistered wood door

We just restained our front door to revive the look. It took 2 days to dry with the humidity. We then applied two coats of fast-drying polyurethane. After the 2nd coat, we closed the door with the early evening sun hitting the door. A few hours later we noticed several bubbles on the door. Not sure what caused this or best method to fix.
Suggestions?
Thanks, Larry

On outside wood only Marine products should be used if you want them to last. You probably rushed the job , coats were improperly aplied.
CME4FUN wrote:

If you read the label on your varnish can it probably said to 'let dry overnight', 'x number of hours' or similar. Some PU formulations have solvents that tend soften the partially cured first coat. The fix is obvious, strip the failed fiinsh, let the stained door dry for a week, and refinish with a quality spar varnish from a paint store that knows what they're selling. They can also supply a quality stripping product as well. Take your time to do it right and the results will be just fine. HTH
Joe
CME4FUN wrote:

What caused it was the heat from the sunlight. The way to fix it is to sand and apply another coat of your finish.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

You *were* talking about small, pinhead size bubbles, weren't you? If yes, above is correct. If not - if they are LARGE bubbles - then it depends. It is possible that the stain wasn't completely dry and/or that the top coat was incompatible with it. In that case, remedy is the same...sand and topcoat.
--

dadiOH
____________________________

IME, with "normal" PU, reasonable RH, and no direct sun, the choice after the first PU coat is let it dry until surface no longer tacky, or overnight, before next coat. And, if overnight, very gentle fine sanding or steel-wool between coats. Bubbles? What bubbles?
It's also a Real Good Thing with big pieces like doors to lay them horizontal before applying. Unless you like saggy bits, or can apply really light coats (which dry faster anyhow.) YMWV.
CME4FUN wrote:

Wiped it down with what? ________________

You'll let it go 4(8) hours before you do what? If you'll re-read the instructions I think you'll find that you need to add additional coats within four hours of each other. If not, you have to wait longer and sand before applying more coats.
--

dadiOH

Bubbles are almost an inevitability when applying polyurethane. They usually "pop" as it dries. I've found that if it's applied when it's hot and dry the poly dries too fast and the bubbles don't have a chance to work to the surface and pop.

Sand and try again.
--
Keith

CME4FUN wrote:

Hot sun caused it ... the varnish/paint dries to film before solvents evaporate, solvents are trapped beneath the film. If you have to recoat it, try to shade it...just sheets of foil, taped somehow to shade the door, will keep the heat off until it is completely CURED (longer than "dry"). Also, a good idea not to close it tightly until it is cured, or at least a couple, three days. Good vacation project :o)

I agree with this. If you stained the door a dark color and have a large glass in the storm door, it is amazing how hot it can get in the sun. Metal door that are dark colors can give you a nasty burn. Keep the door open for a time to keep the sun from hitting it directly.
Keep in mind that while the urethane may be "dry" in four hours, it is not fully cured for about 2 weeks. Keep it cool until then.