Bizarre Ryobi Planer AP1300

Hi,

I got this planer from a friend (who's never used it).

Here's two picture of a blade lock. It is spring loaded and the dumbfounding part is that in the default position it is *locked*. One need to press (and, theoretically, hold) the button down for the lock to go down to let the blade spin freely.

(locked, default)
(unlocked with the button press)

If anyone has this model, what's going on here?

Thanks,

Sam

Reply to
Sam Takoy

Dowload the manual for hte newer 1301 and it should explain the way it works. From the blurry photo, I can't tell what it is

? Using the open-end wrench, carefully loosen the blade

locking screws ( 1 ).

? Using the notched end of the magnetic blade wrench,

remove the blade from the cutter head by hooking the

notch over the end of the blade and pulling straight out.

Use the magnet on the other end of the tool to help remove

the blade from the planer ( 2 ).

? If you are changing to the second edge of the blade, rotate

the blade "end for end" keeping the same flat side down.

This will correctly position the blade to reinstall.

NOTE: Blades should be cleaned of gum and pitch before

reinstalling.

? If you are installing a new set of cutter blades, lightly oil

each blade before installing.

? Place blade into the opening on the cutter head and push

in firmly to seat. Visually check that the blade edge is

parallel to the cutter head slot.

? Retighten the blade locking screws securely.

? Depress the cutter lock lever and begin to rotate the cutter

head to the next blade. Release the lock lever once

the cutter head begins to rotate and continue to rotate

until the lock engages and the second blade is in correct

position for removal.

? Replace second blade using the same procedures as

outlined above.

? Replace the dust hood and reinstall thumb screws to

secure.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's exactly what I had done. Apparently the 1301 does not have this feature.

Reply to
Sam Takoy

It sounds like the cutter lock lever described below. Perhaps something is missing that holds it away from the locked position? You may also want to try asking on rec.wodworking I'm sure someone there has the same machine.

? Depress the cutter lock lever and begin to rotate the cutter

head to the next blade. Release the lock lever once

the cutter head begins to rotate and continue to rotate

until the lock engages and the second blade is in correct

position for removal.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Knowing HD they might give you a new one if its defective since it seems a bit dangerous and looks like a new unit, get the reciept or say you paid cash and lost it

Reply to
ransley

a) Find parts diagram for the model you have and see what it shows. b) Go to whichever box store it is that has Ryobi (HD istr???) and look at one on the floor. c) Contact Ryobi service/support directly.

My bet from the picture is the lock assembly is intended to be removed when not replacing/honing blades. Even if not, it's what I'd do in all likelihood unless it became patently clear there is a holddown somewhere. It (the lock) looks in the depressed position still uncomfortably close to the shaft during actual operation I'd not trust it.

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote: ...

Or, perhaps, repositioned out of harm's way.

--

Reply to
dpb

dpb wrote: ...

has model selection search that shows an exploded view.

Quick perusal didn't show any missing pieces/parts; w/o a visual look-see I'd stick w/ my earlier assumption.

It doesn't appear Ryobi has manuals available online for non-current models... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

I found the following text ing the online manual at the link Ed posted:

NOTE: With the dust hood removed, the cutter head lock will engage when the head is rotated. Do not operate the planer without the dust hood in place or the planer will be damaged.

It sounds like some part of the "dust hood" is supposed to disengage the lock when installed. The lock is to help keep you from accidentally doing an imitation of hamburger while working on the thing (if you forgot to unplug it or remove the key)..

Reply to
Larry Fishel