Bicycle Powered Sump Pump?

Page 2 of 2

What's your definition of a "regular" bike rider? I'm thinking that a regular bike rider would mostly likey give up in the first 15 minutes. A strong rider might be able to do it.
Childfree Scott wrote:

Say you commute by bike every day. It takes some practice but is not unusual given that you do.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com

Easily? During the Tour de France, a commentator remarked that Lance Armstrong could produce 400 watts. He didn't say for how long, but it left me with the impression that 400 was very impressive. Keep in mind I don't even own a bicycle.
As a side note; Armstrong made me proud to be an American. Not just for his cycling skill but his self control. The first time one of those oh-so-civil Frenchies spit on me, I would have had to stop and punch some manners into him.
Andy Asberry wrote:

I heard 600. There's some variation in what the right figure is, and what normal bike rider is, but it's up high enough to move volumes of water comparable to a sump pump.
The trick is pacing, incidentally; running always _just_ below what would wear you out, rather than randomly above and way below, which is what a novice does, and burns himself out on. Which is where regular practice comes in more than muscle.
--
Ron Hardin
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com
On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 19:47:14 GMT, Andy Asberry

To put things in perspective Egyptian farmers still use the hand cranked Archimedian screw to raise water for irrigation. Its made of wood and is not an efficient machine. I haven't any idea how long the farmer keeps at it. Hand cranking must be pretty tiresome. But the method has been around for more than 2000 years and it gets the job done.

I think the spitter was a German fan of Ulrich something and the whole idea was to upset Lance and screw up his concentration and rhythm.