Water supply to a water-powered sump pump

Since I already have two AC-powered sump pumps, and a generator, I already have a belt and suspenders situation. But, the generator is not too easy to start, and the last time I was out of town and the power failed, we got water in the basement before my wife got the generator running. So now I have to decide between some kind of autostart generator hooked to one of my current pumps, or a water- powered sump pump as a third pump. I do have reliable municpal water, and I am going to call to get the minimum water pressure that they try to deliver. A 10 foot head is a little more than I will have to lift the water, and it will have its own separate discharge pipe thru the perimeter joists and out into the yard where the ground slopes away from the house about 8"' in 12'. I will have to run a new water line to the new pump and that is where my question comes in.

If I take the discharge rate at a 10' head and 40 psi, for example, is

300 gph, I can figure out that I need100 gallons per hour of input water to run the pump. How do I figure out the diameter pipe I need to supply the pump. Can someone steer me to a chart showing pressure dropof various diameter pipes at various flow rates?. Once I have a chart and know our minimum municipal pressure, I can decide if there is enough pressure and the size pipe I neeed to use to supply the pump.

TIA

Reply to
hrhofmann

Don't they have charts at pump sites, www.base pump.com and

both make water powered pumps, or the 800#

Reply to
ransley

Get rid of your cheapo generator and get one that is dead certain reliable. There are good ones out there. Kohler, Generac, others. Remember, in a bad situation your city water will fail from a power outage. Water towers are not limitless.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

The idea is to use the water powered sump pump until the generator is running to take over the load, especially when one is absent when the blackout occurs.

Yes, the city water may fail during a power blackout, but sometimes blackouts are local, and the city pumps may still have power. Also, some city pumping stations have diesel backup generators to power the pumps through a power failure.

Reply to
EXT

I just put one of those in before Hurricane Irene struck, and it saved me from getting a wet basement. Its made by Star Water systems, and it requires a feed of 3/4" pipe. But I had mine hooked up to a 5/8" hose from my washer, which is fed by 3/4" copper, and it worked fine. In all likely you need 3/4" supply also. It will not work well if connected to a 1/2" supply line Look at the specs online of the pumps to get an idea.

Reply to
Mikepier