Best time of year to remove dead branches from oak tree?

Page 1 of 2
I have a large, mature oak tree, about 40 feet tall, the trunk is about 3 feet thick at the base. The tree appears healthy, but there are a number (about 10) dead branches near the bottom of the tree. The largest of these branches is about 2 inches where it exits the trunk, although most are around 1 inch. They have no leaves on them at all and they smaller shoots break easily. Also, most also have very blunt cut ends where it looks like they were pruned years ago (by the previous homeowner). By far, most of the tree is fine, with very full, green leaves.
I'd like to remove these dead branches, but I'm not sure when is the best time of the year to do this. I've done some searching, and found information regarding pruning live branches, but not much about the dead ones. Some of the articles I've found state to trim only during winter, but that would be much harder to identify the dead branches. Other articles say mid to late summer (starting late June) is OK.
The dead branches are all fairly low (reachable from the ground with a pole saw), and finances are somewhat tight right now, so bringing in a professional isn't really an option.
Any information would be appreciated.
Mike O.

The branches are dead.
They don't get deader at any particular time of year.
Cut them off anytime.
writes:

I realize the branches are dead, I just want to avoid doing anything that will damage the rest of the tree.

Just remove the branch. Leave the rest of the tree alone.

The only likely damage to the rest of the tree is a crude cutting job that lets a branch fall and strip bark back into a live section. But w/ stuff this small even that is pretty minimal w/ any care exercised at all...when you get to taking off a large limb 6" or more, then some care is warranted.

I remember something about painting the cut area to prevent decay. You can get clear paint for that.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

Sealing the cut is OLD. No longer recommended.
But NEVER recommended for dead branches. There is nothing to seal. It's dead.
On Thu, 24 May 2007 11:36:07 -0400, Dan Espen

If that is the case, why do they have sealed coffins for humans?

Total waste of money.
Eventually you're going to rot, the coffin is going to rot, the worms will eat you. Whether it's in one year or ten thousand makes little difference.
Personally, I'd rather be buried in a landfill, container optional.
On Fri, 25 May 2007 09:42:33 -0400, Dan Espen

It does make some. Rotting is a normal part of nature.

There's something really wrong about being expected to spend thousands of dollars on a box (coffin) which is then put in another box you spent hundreds of dollars on, and then buried forever.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

There's some stupid belief about things lasting forever. It doesn't (and shouldn't) do that.
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
On Thu, 24 May 2007 09:44:17 -0500, Mark Lloyd

Painting a tree cut has been replaced with "keeping the cut clean." Trees heal faster without painting or use of tar sprays.

Dead branches heal faster??? :)

Who said that, and where??

Read the thread title, look at the emoticon, and chill...

Dead of that size is immaterial when it is removed.
Major pruning is best in fall or very early spring, but dead is already dead and certainly anything less than 5-6" is of no concern at all.

Remove dead branches any time of year. Use a pruning saw.

disease than others, so that will have to be a consideration.
In our area (TX), there are primarily "Live Oaks" that keep their leaves all winter and shed in the spring as they put on new leaves. There is also a disease called "Oak Wilt" that kills these trees. These trees should never be trimmed in the spring and summer, only in the winter. But, small dead branches can be cut without a problem, so I'd guess since yours are all dead, that you are safe. But if I was doing it, I'd contact the county extension service or an aborist for advice. Also, alwasys sterilize your tools with alcohol.
Bob-tx

[snip]
The people across the street (east Texas) have a couple of 30-year-old live oaks. The shed in the fall too, and those tough narrow leaves are hard to clean up. They wish they hadn't been told that live oaks make good shade trees.
[snip]
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
.

Can't be worse than magnolia leaves! They're big, thick, take years to rot, fall all year long, and blow over 3 city blocks. My advise to magnolia tree owners - if it's less than 100 years old, cut it down.
Red