best source for flashlight bulb?

Trying to locate a 4.6 V bulb for an Eveready flashlight purchased at West Marine. Item takes 4 AA batteries. WM cannot help. Any good online sites for bulb suppliers? Thanks

Reply to
val189

dont know but try a LED replacement, bulb and battery life skyrocket

Reply to
hallerb

How about your local hardware store? Home Depot also sells replacement bulbs last time I looked. Failing that, you might try this, although it looks a bit dubious to me:

JoeSpareBedroom

Just about any GOOD hardware store. The last time I needed a bulb, the nearny ace hardware had a huge selection.

Reply to
Bob F

Well, the reason you need a new bulb is 4AA batteries need a 6 Volt bulb. Unless the flashlight uses NiCads...

Reply to
HeyBub

I will also suggest that unless that is some sort of special light, that you just replace it with a new LED light.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Have owned it for years and this is first time need to replace bulb. I'd toss it but it's compact, converts to a standup lantern, is completely rubber coated, and haven't seen another like it.

Thanks for the replies, all. I'll try HD next.

Reply to
val189
4.6 volts sounds like a PR-13. Is the bulb a PR base, at least?

Like the other person wrote, four AA cells should deliver 6 volts, if they are alkaline batteries.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Always try HD last, and a locally owned hardware store first, unless you have a spectacular reason to do the opposite.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I have a mcmaster- carr catalog- it shows a bm17s at 4.5v (1 amp)#1505k121, a pr13 at 4.74v (.5amp)#1505k31,a k13-krypton 4.8v (.70 amp)1505k142,a kpr113 4.8v (.75 amp)1505k143, and a r60 xenon 4.8v (1.1 amp)1505k361 Pat

Reply to
patrick mitchel

Bigger is often better.

Reply to
HeyBub

Not in my experience. HD blows goats. Lowe's is orders of magnitude better but less convenient. I have 3-4 small local stores farther away than HD but within a 5 mile radius, all are infinitely preferable to that Orange-Colored Store (tm.)

I usually leave HD in a seething rage because a) they don't have something basic and common, b) their help doesn't speak english and/or seems to take enjoyment in directing me to odd corners of the store looking for something that they don't have, c) the clientele is generally ruder and less able to get around without blocking your way than soccer moms at the grocery store or any combination of the above.

Sadly I am still forced to patronize HD as all but one of the small stores closes at 6 PM. there is a real business opportunity here for anyone who has the desire to run a real hardware store...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've had just about the opposite experience. Near me, the HD folks are friendly and helpful. The check out guys at Lowes are an attitude case. I've had twice that I nearly left the order and demanded a refund. They like to reach over and tap "yes" on the customer screen when it asked me if it's the correct ammount. And then they get pissy when I tell em to go back and put the question on the screen and let *ME* answer the question it asked me.

If your light takes a PR based bulb, then PR-13 or PR-12 for four AA cells. PR-12 if you use alkaline cells.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

N he does not. The internal resistance of the cells, which for 4AA is fairly high, decrease their effective output - that is why he needs a bulb that is rated for less than 6 volts.

Go to your local hardware store. It might be hard to find a bulb rated for

4 AAs. In a pinch you can use one rated for 4 D cells - it will burn slightly dimmer when used with AA cells.
Reply to
Kuskokwim

On Sat 02 Feb 2008 04:07:04a, Nate Nagel told us...

Try RadioShack or

Wayne Boatwright

Like I said, closer and open later: Better.

You just need more experience:

  1. Shop there more often and you'll learn where everything is located.
  2. Use the self-service check-out lanes to avoid the staff.
Reply to
HeyBub

Flashlight bulbs are normally rated for 1.2 to 1.25 volts per cell. This is because that's what on average they see, due to batteries losing voltage with use, and also with voltage being loaded down due to internal resistance of the battery.

For that matter, they are usually rated to last anywhere from 15 to 35 hours at such voltage.

There are bulbs for 5-cell flashlights rated about 6 volts, but they will be somewhat dim and a little yellowish with 4 cells.

I would suggest an LED retrofit. A suitable one may turn up at Target.

Otherwise, I suggest getting an LED flashlight. Nowadays, there are ones better than incandescent ones.

Don Klipstein

For AA cells, I would suggest avoiding the higher current ones unless you have good NiCd or NiMH ones, preferably NiMH ones that are compatible with charging in 30 minutes or less.

Keep in mind that rechargeable batteries are less good for flashlights that are only used infrequently and need to be ready for emergencies. Rechargeable batteries often self-discharge within a few months.

Don Klipstein