best source for flashlight bulb?

Trying to locate a 4.6 V bulb for an Eveready flashlight purchased at West Marine. Item takes 4 AA batteries. WM cannot help. Any good online sites for bulb suppliers? Thanks

dont know but try a LED replacement, bulb and battery life skyrocket

How about your local hardware store? Home Depot also sells replacement bulbs last time I looked. Failing that, you might try this, although it looks a bit dubious to me:
http://www.eveready.com/contact_us.asp

Just about any GOOD hardware store. The last time I needed a bulb, the nearny ace hardware had a huge selection.
val189 wrote:

Well, the reason you need a new bulb is 4AA batteries need a 6 Volt bulb. Unless the flashlight uses NiCads...

Have owned it for years and this is first time need to replace bulb. I'd toss it but it's compact, converts to a standup lantern, is completely rubber coated, and haven't seen another like it.
Thanks for the replies, all. I'll try HD next.

Always try HD last, and a locally owned hardware store first, unless you have a spectacular reason to do the opposite.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

Bigger is often better.
HeyBub wrote:

Not in my experience. HD blows goats. Lowe's is orders of magnitude better but less convenient. I have 3-4 small local stores farther away than HD but within a 5 mile radius, all are infinitely preferable to that Orange-Colored Store (tm.)
I usually leave HD in a seething rage because a) they don't have something basic and common, b) their help doesn't speak english and/or seems to take enjoyment in directing me to odd corners of the store looking for something that they don't have, c) the clientele is generally ruder and less able to get around without blocking your way than soccer moms at the grocery store or any combination of the above.
Sadly I am still forced to patronize HD as all but one of the small stores closes at 6 PM. there is a real business opportunity here for anyone who has the desire to run a real hardware store...
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Try RadioShack or http://www.bulbtown.com/Flashlight_Bulbs_s/593.htm
--
Wayne Boatwright

Nate Nagel wrote:

Like I said, closer and open later: Better.
You just need more experience:
1. Shop there more often and you'll learn where everything is located. 2. Use the self-service check-out lanes to avoid the staff.
I have a mcmaster- carr catalog- it shows a bm17s at 4.5v (1 amp)#1505k121, a pr13 at 4.74v (.5amp)#1505k31,a k13-krypton 4.8v (.70 amp)1505k142,a kpr113 4.8v (.75 amp)1505k143, and a r60 xenon 4.8v (1.1 amp)1505k361 Pat

For AA cells, I would suggest avoiding the higher current ones unless you have good NiCd or NiMH ones, preferably NiMH ones that are compatible with charging in 30 minutes or less.
Keep in mind that rechargeable batteries are less good for flashlights that are only used infrequently and need to be ready for emergencies. Rechargeable batteries often self-discharge within a few months.
On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 13:53:21 -0600, HeyBub wrote:

N he does not. The internal resistance of the cells, which for 4AA is fairly high, decrease their effective output - that is why he needs a bulb that is rated for less than 6 volts.
Go to your local hardware store. It might be hard to find a bulb rated for 4 AAs. In a pinch you can use one rated for 4 D cells - it will burn slightly dimmer when used with AA cells.

Flashlight bulbs are normally rated for 1.2 to 1.25 volts per cell. This is because that's what on average they see, due to batteries losing voltage with use, and also with voltage being loaded down due to internal resistance of the battery.
For that matter, they are usually rated to last anywhere from 15 to 35 hours at such voltage.
There are bulbs for 5-cell flashlights rated about 6 volts, but they will be somewhat dim and a little yellowish with 4 cells.
I would suggest an LED retrofit. A suitable one may turn up at Target.
Otherwise, I suggest getting an LED flashlight. Nowadays, there are ones better than incandescent ones.
I will also suggest that unless that is some sort of special light, that you just replace it with a new LED light.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
4.6 volts sounds like a PR-13. Is the bulb a PR base, at least?
Like the other person wrote, four AA cells should deliver 6 volts, if they are alkaline batteries.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus