Beginner's Choice of Digital Camera

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com wrote:

Hmmm, Higher MP tends to have noise problems. I must have a VF for acurate framing. For my family picture taking 6MP is plenty. And mine has built-in 12X zoom and OIS.
Thanks for the field report on Olympus. My panasonic did over 100 pictures on a set of AA cells, I am now using Duracell NiMH 2650 cells. Very pleased with them.
Hope the Panasonic continues for a lot of years. For whatever reason, going from viewfinder to screen on the back wasn't a concern for me.
--

Christopher A. Young;
.

< snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.com> wrote in message

I bought a Nikon Cook Pix. It is mediocre at best. The main feature that I like is it fits in my shirt pocket.
Most marketers are selling megapixels and using crappy lenses. The unknowing public knows that more MP is better, but they don't know why or have any clue as to lens quality. I see many people viewing through he screen and not the viewfinder. Holding the camera a foot away, inducing a lot of shake, and wonder why the photo is blurry. Eliminating the viewfinder makes for a smaller camera and saves money. Good enough for a shot of the kids opening their gifts on Christmas morning, but far short of that 16 x 20 portrait you want.
If you want good quality, don't mind the size, get a DSLR for $800 and up. When I want to take serious photos, I get out my Olympus OM-2

I own and love my DSLR but it's absolutely not necessary in order to capture good pics.
Take a look at Wilson Tsoi's work with a crappy Canon point-'n-shoot:
http://photo.net/photodb/presentation?presentation_id17651
and then weap ;-)

He proves that the most important piece of photo equipment is the human eye and brain. Great stuff.

<http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid 3& modelid904>
B&H is selling it for $128.
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/484784-REG/Canon_1774B001_PowerShot_A560 _Digital_Camera.html>
You would be hard-pressed to find anything substantially better than that camera for the same money.
Advantage: Uses Canon's newest DiG!C III image processor. That promises the best performance regarding "shutter lag" - the bane of virtually all point-n-shoot cameras to date.
Advantage: Uses two, common 'AA'-size batteries. Disadvantage: Uses two, common 'AA'-size batteries.
(Huh?)
The real advantage is that you can purchase batteries for this model virtually anywhere. The downside is that it uses only TWO of them. That means you'll be changing batteries frequently, particularly if the built-in flash is used much.
I may buy one of these as a spare camera. That's a helluva price for this little gem.
You would do well to ask your question in a more appropriate newsgroup:
Good luck!
--
:)
JR

Canon EOS 20D
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 21:00:02 -0600, Jim Redelfs
-snip-

4 of the last 5 cameras in this household have been Canon Powershots. [they can't fly or swim- so don't throw them down stairs or drop them in bathtubs] Shutter lag is the only thing I can say bad about them. We just ordered the A560 for my daughter. [Walmart had a Blackfriday sale- $148 - with a free all-in-one printer] If the shutter lag is improved I'll replace my wife's 520 with a 560.
We haven't fired up my daughter's A560- but man what an LCD on that puppy!

Agree 100% with both premises- If you use a lot of flash get a few sets of top of the line NIMH batteries and a charger.

second that-
Jim
Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

Hi, Can't go wrong with any Canon. A-series uses ordinary batteries which could be a plus when traveling.
I would suggest checking at rec.photo.digital newsgroup and or Consumers Reports. You can usually find them at your local library.
I don't have any experience with cameras of that type. While I have one it is too old to be much of a reference. My primary cameras today are digital SLR's.
I do have a few suggestions however. There are some things that no one can test for you. You need to do it yourself.
First, be sure to get the camera into your hands. Work all the controls as you would taking photos. Since it is digital you should actually take photos. Your hands and mine are likely different sizes and that difference can make a large difference in how well you will like the camera. In general older folk and young kids need fewer larger controls.
Look through the view finder or at the screen that you will use to compose the photos. Some are really bad an others are very good. Take it into sun light if it is a screen to see if you can see it then.
Next I suggest that you should tell us, and anyone else a little more about the photography you do now and what you might want to do that you have not, maybe due to the limitations of the camera.
If any one camera was the best for everyone, then that would soon be the ONLY camera being sold.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia \'s Muire duit
I got sears.com to match bestbuy's $140 for the Canon A560. With 1 gb sd card and tax, 'twere $160 against my sears gift cards.
Picked it up last nite. Seems to be a good solid little cam. Lots to learn, 'tho.
This was a very helpful thread. Much thanks to all respondents.
Cheers, Peetie
On Thu, 06 Dec 2007 18:32:21 GMT, Peetie Wheatstraw