Bees in the ground?

Page 4 of 4
On 15 Sep 2006 10:07:10 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,

Fill the hole with water to drive out the tenants, then pour in dirt to make mud. They won't be back.
-- Real freedom lies in wildness, not in civilization. -- Charles Lindbergh
Just talked with my brother-in-law tonight. He had a nest and used Sevin a short time ago and the Sevin worked for him.
I had a few ground nests last year, one was big enough that the Sevin wasn't working (or at least not as fast as i wanted), so I got out the gasoline.
Here's some tips for gassing the nest-
get a small glass jar- i used a small 8-12 oz empty salsa jar. using a small container has several benefits- you know exactly how much gas you are dumping into the nest, so you don't have a giant explosion near you when you torch it. Also, you don't have a gas can to move away before lighting a match. I just took the small jar of gas to the nest, dumped it in, tossed the jar away from me, and threw a match on it. If you use a small amount, it should burn up.
In my mind, this is a way to be sure that you get them all, including unhatched bees.
The last nest I did this to was probably the somewhere between the size of a softball and a bowling ball.
I have also found that sometimes skunks or racoons will come during the night and dig up the nest, or at least open it up a little for you to dump or spray something on it. I don't know which critters do the digging, but it usually happens overnight. I have had this happen several times, usually in the fall, when the nights get cooler.
good luck!
we mark the hole during the day by putting a stick pointing out the hole,then pour some gasoline has down the hole at night. a quart will do.the fumes kill em in a second. lucas