Bearings

I'm building a horizontal windmill, just a fun project to try out some diff erent ideas I have, and need some suggestions on bearings. There will be tw o major parts to the windmill, the base and the blade assembly. The base wi ll be a small platform with a hole in the middle, supported by long legs. T he blade assembly will sit on top of that with the drive shaft sticking dow n through the hole to power a pump or water wheel or something like that.
There should be some sort of bearing mounted on the base platform for the b lade assembly to rest on to reduce friction. I was thinking of something li ke the unit pictured on this web page:
http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/m7/UCF201-8--1-2-4-bolt-flange-bearing-u nit-ucf201-8.html
Bolt the flange to the base platform and have the blade assembly rest on th e neck sticking up from it, with the drive shaft sticking down through the neck. The blade assembly won't weigh that much, maybe 15# or 20#, but is th is sort of bearing assembly designed to support weight or just rotate a sha ft sticking through it?
Any links to appropriate bearings will be appreciated.
Paul
On Thursday, June 6, 2013 12:21:48 PM UTC-7, Pavel314 wrote:

two major parts to the windmill, the base and the blade assembly. The base will be a small platform with a hole in the middle, supported by long legs. The blade assembly will sit on top of that with the drive shaft sticking d own through the hole to power a pump or water wheel or something like that.

like the unit pictured on this web page:

e neck. The blade assembly won't weigh that much, maybe 15# or 20#, but is this sort of bearing assembly designed to support weight or just rotate a s haft sticking through it?

How about a thrust ball bearing?
Pavel,
That's the wrong bearing, I think. You need a thrust bearing, since the bearing is supporting the blade assembly. http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit7860?gclid=CK6Hj63D0LcCFeU-MgodCgcAFw
Dave M.
On Thursday, June 6, 2013 7:00:28 PM UTC-4, David L. Martel wrote:

Thanks, that looks like what I need. I searched around and can't find a thrust bearing with a flange for bolting to the base or a thrust bearing holder. I suppose I can bore a depression in the base to fit the bearing into so that it's somewhat stable.
Paul

two major parts to the windmill, the base and the blade assembly. The base will be a small platform with a hole in the middle, supported by long legs. The blade assembly will sit on top of that with the drive shaft sticking d own through the hole to power a pump or water wheel or something like that.

like the unit pictured on this web page:

e neck. The blade assembly won't weigh that much, maybe 15# or 20#, but is this sort of bearing assembly designed to support weight or just rotate a s haft sticking through it?

I think you mean a vertical axis windmill.
On Thursday, June 6, 2013 10:22:33 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

e two major parts to the windmill, the base and the blade assembly. The bas e will be a small platform with a hole in the middle, supported by long leg s. The blade assembly will sit on top of that with the drive shaft sticking down through the hole to power a pump or water wheel or something like tha t.

g like the unit pictured on this web page:

the neck. The blade assembly won't weigh that much, maybe 15# or 20#, but i s this sort of bearing assembly designed to support weight or just rotate a shaft sticking through it?

Yes, a problem with terminology. When I first started looking at this years ago, there was a website for the Green windmill, which had sails instead o f blades. They called it a horizontal windmill, meaning that the plane of r otation was horizontal, although the axis was vertical. That term stuck in my head but I'll have to train myself to think of it as a vertical axis win dmill, which is a much better description.
On 6/6/2013 2:21 PM, Pavel314 wrote:

different ideas I have, and need some suggestions on bearings. There will be two major parts to the windmill, the base and the blade assembly. The base will be a small platform with a hole in the middle, supported by long legs. The blade assembly will sit on top of that with the drive shaft sticking down through the hole to power a pump or water wheel or something like that.

blade assembly to rest on to reduce friction. I was thinking of something like the unit pictured on this web page:

http://www.usabearingsandbelts.com/m7/UCF201-8--1-2-4-bolt-flange-bearing-unit-ucf201-8.html

neck sticking up from it, with the drive shaft sticking down through the neck. The blade assembly won't weigh that much, maybe 15# or 20#, but is this sort of bearing assembly designed to support weight or just rotate a shaft sticking through it?

Hey Paul, have you ever wondered what the inside of one of those really big wind Turbine machine heads looks like, take a look at one that was damaged on its way to a job and is now up for a salvage auction. ^_^
http://www.salvex.com/listings/listing_detail.cfm?aucID 2951870
http://tinyurl.com/mb2u46l
TDD

two major parts to the windmill, the base and the blade assembly. The base will be a small platform with a hole in the middle, supported by long legs. The blade assembly will sit on top of that with the drive shaft sticking d own through the hole to power a pump or water wheel or something like that.

like the unit pictured on this web page:

e neck. The blade assembly won't weigh that much, maybe 15# or 20#, but is this sort of bearing assembly designed to support weight or just rotate a s haft sticking through it?

Your description seems to be that of a "vertical axis" windmill?
Perhaps the orientation of the windmill axis needs to be described via a graphic of some sort
btw the bearing you show appears to be a "radial loads only" type.
SWG here....For your windmills you'll at least two bearing.... one that takes thrust & radial, one the takes radial only. Note: Your bearing arrangement needs to support component weight AND wind loading.

two major parts to the windmill, the base and the blade assembly. The base will be a small platform with a hole in the middle, supported by long legs. The blade assembly will sit on top of that with the drive shaft sticking d own through the hole to power a pump or water wheel or something like that.

like the unit pictured on this web page:

e neck. The blade assembly won't weigh that much, maybe 15# or 20#, but is this sort of bearing assembly designed to support weight or just rotate a s haft sticking through it?

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jLA2u_G4Dg

you might consider
http://windgenkits.com/vcom/index.php
the rotor assy shown in video
http://www.windgenkits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath &&products_id=8 4
On Friday, June 7, 2013 1:52:14 AM UTC-4, DD_BobK wrote:

e two major parts to the windmill, the base and the blade assembly. The bas e will be a small platform with a hole in the middle, supported by long leg s. The blade assembly will sit on top of that with the drive shaft sticking down through the hole to power a pump or water wheel or something like tha t.

g like the unit pictured on this web page:

the neck. The blade assembly won't weigh that much, maybe 15# or 20#, but i s this sort of bearing assembly designed to support weight or just rotate a shaft sticking through it?

Thanks for posting that. Buying a rotor assembly would save a lot of time a nd effort.
Paul

two major parts to the windmill, the base and the blade assembly. The base will be a small platform with a hole in the middle, supported by long legs. The blade assembly will sit on top of that with the drive shaft sticking d own through the hole to power a pump or water wheel or something like that.

like the unit pictured on this web page:

e neck. The blade assembly won't weigh that much, maybe 15# or 20#, but is this sort of bearing assembly designed to support weight or just rotate a s haft sticking through it?

I have seen the axle from a rear drive car used in projects like this. Sometimes the gearbox as well. Saves a lot of work. Differential unit needs modification to lock it up.