Battery operated weed trimmers?

Weed trimmer, string trimmer, edger, whatever you call them? Anyone have/had one using batteries? I dislike fooling with gasoline and little twu-cycle engines and my current electric unit has that annoying loooong power cord and gets power most conveniently from a touchy outside ground- fault detecting receptacle that sometimes, even when the vegetation is dry, too-often requires resets.
I've casually looked the those with batteries on-line and they appear quite expensive. If you have one, how long does that battery run before it needs recharging? Like 15 minutes, 20, 30? Probably depends a lot on unit and battery size. I'm afraid bettery replacements will be very expense - and perhaps hard to find.
Again, if you've used them, what is your experience? Would you get another?
TIA

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 16:35:32 +0000, KenK wrote:

I had bought one from Orchard Supply (Sears offshoot) a while ago, and hated it. The battery lasted fine in the beginning, but, within a short period (maybe a year or two?) it was useless.
Of course, I could have bought a new battery, but, what I ended up buying was a two-stroke weed whacker, which I had been happy with.
Danny D. wrote:

Hi, Have both. 2 cycle gas, B&D Lithium Ion battery one. The B&D came with two batteries. Battery lasts about 30 mins. good enough to do a small city lot. I still use gas one out at our cabin.

same experience with our special order from OSH. It broke a couple times, too, so that was my excuse to return it for a refund (other than the special order fee, but I was happy to be rid of it).

I guess it really depends on how much trimming you have to do. I have had a B&D 24V trimmer for a number of years. I couldn't be happier, but I don't have a lot of edge to trim. I have never used up the battery in one session. I'd estimate that a session probably lasts about 15 - 20 minutes but that's not continuance.
I was storing a gas trimmer for my son when he lived in an apartment and I used it a few times. I liked the way it operated. It seemed smoother and less violent that my battery powered B&D but not enough that I would want to deal with mixing gas, dealing with cold weather running vs. warm, etc. With the B&D, I can just grab and go, even for a quick trim in one spot, and then hang it back on the garage wall.
On 3/31/2014 12:35 PM, KenK wrote:

I had a clipper and trimmer set with 2 batteries that cost $100. Worked nice for small stuff but when batteries gave out in 5 years only replacement I found were $50 each. Hated to throw out that set that was perfectly good but useless without batteries.

I have a Black and Decker battery powered unit from about seven years ago that is still going strong. It is used once a week or so for about 30 minutes. It has never appeared to slow down so I presume it could run much longer. When not in use it sits on the charger. I'd recommend one.

I have a little sears unit. Fantastic, light, lithium battery, until they quit making replacement cutters.
Greg
On 31 Mar 2014 16:35:32 GMT, KenK wrote:

Really like this one. Expensive but almost as powerful as gas powered: (Amazon.com product link shortened)

Had one, don't want another. Might be okay if you have small areas to whack. The motor weight on the bottom make them hard on the back.

They really need to change the description of that unit.
A 13" shaft on a trimmer could lead to a really sore back.