Battery Drills: I now have 4 bad ones.

Page 1 of 3
This morning I discovered I now have 4 non-functional cordless drills (battery powered) all due to battery packs won't take a charge.
Replacement batteries cost more than a new cordless drill.
The last cordless drill set, from HF, lasted less than 3 years.
So, my question:
Has anyone ever seen an aftermarket adapter that uses household electric power, and fits into a cordless drill where the battery pack goes?
Wouldn't it be nice to spend $29.95 to convert a useless cordless drill to a functional corded drill?
I know, I know, return from fantasy wishful thinking land, do not pass GO and don't collect $200.00 monopoly money.
Phil

re: This morning I discovered I now have 4 non-functional cordless drills and
re: The last cordless drill set, from HF, lasted less than 3 years
I guess that implies that the other's lasted at least that long, which means you've held onto 1 dead drill for 12 years, another for 9 and a third for 6, assuming sequential purchases.
Seems like a waste of space.
Phil Again wrote:

That's called designed and planned obsolescence. They force you to throw the whole thing away and buy another one. We need more shit in our garbage dumps.
--
Claude Hopper :)

☮ ☻ ¥

for $30, you can buy a cheap 110vac drill.

Yep, that may be the way I will go. Just waiting for the Holiday sales I guess.

or get a used variable speed on craigslist
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:20:15 -0600, Phil Again

Look around on the internet. I found aftermarket batteries for my Makitas for about $30 with higher AH ratings than the original.

WHERE?
Phil Again wrote:

Are they plugged into the wall recptacle?

Get the packs rebuilt, or get a new drill, Ridgid has lifetime warranty on even batteries. But you could be over discharging, overcharging and knowing HF they were not Sanyo or panasonic cells which are used in good equipment. If used 3 years alot you may just have gotten their expected life out of them. Think of these new LiIon drills that dont last as many years as Nicad and will cost 80-120 for a new pack, yes they make their most money on new packs.
Phil Again wrote:

I have a cordless drill that batteries kept dieing on so I converted it to plug into a car cigarette lighter. I went down to the local battery place that sells 12 volt DC batteries for computer backup power supplies and bought one for $22.00 and use a car battery trickle charger to charge it. It holds a charge for a long time.
When the drill needs extra power for a job I use a power converter to convert 120 volt AC to 18 volt DC and attach it to the battery I bought and together they give me all the sustained power needed for almost any job.
I also converted a video camera to use a standard 12 volt car adapter to convert to 9 volts and using that battery I never have to worry about not having enough power.
Rigging this up isn't as much trouble as it might sound.
Murdock
Murdock wrote:

Rig the battery with a plugin like a car cigarette lighter.

PRIMECELL rebuilds your packs with better than original batteries, excellent service, reasonable price
http://www.primecell.com/pctools.htm
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 13:09:42 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Not saying prime cell prices to replace and rebuild my battery pack are not worth the price,
But the cost of a another battery pack replacement is still just about the price of a new cheap corded drill.
But I do thank-you for your offering the link. Now only if prime-cell would offer a cheap re-build to convert my 18.0 volt battery pack to a standard household current corded drill. I don't think they would be able to offer such a service at an economic price point.
IMHO, economics of mass production and production tooling vs manual production makes it impossible for Prime Cell to be inexpensive compared to a new drill.

well realize primecell is rebuilding with cells far better than the original ones that came with the unit when new.
cheap cordless use cheap cells. with less capacity.
primecell uses superior more expensive cells, which cost more.
but hey you want the cheapest?????
a lot depends on how much and where you use the tool
Phil Again wrote:

I have a B&D 12 volt cordless that I obtained back in 1993, I just replaced the battery packs last month. The old packs will still hold a bit of a charge.
TDD
Phil Again wrote:

I personally never run into this kinda stuff in my "fantasy wishful thinking land", but...
Stop dreaming and get out the old soldering iron and just rebuild the packs with some new nicads like these:
http://www.onlybatteries.com/cat_featured_items.asp?cat1R&cat=2&id55&uid 64

actually soldering to a ni cad is a bad idea, the heat can damage the cells long term life.
primecell spot welds the cells together, heat is so fast it cant damage cells.
cheap cordless tools cheap out on batteries, with low capacity cells.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Same with ICs - that's why there are heat sinks.

theres no easy way to heat sink a battery, welding much better.
i have a friend who would freeze batteries before soldering on them