Bathtub drain repair

Re: Bathtub drain repair
Greetings,
I belong to a little brick bungalow in the midwest US, built in 1954. Bathroom is pretty much standard issue: tiles and a porcelein tub.
The tub has 3 handles, 1 for hot water flow, 1 for cold, and one for directing water flow to either the shower head or the fawcett. Under the handles is a chrome fixture with an aperture for water overflow and a lever to open/close the drain plug.
The drain plug no longer seals properly. I'd guess that, when closed, it allows 1 to 5 gal. per minute to drain. Maybe more.
The plug has a screw in the middle. When removed, the plug still doesn't want to come out. May be threaded to the mechanism that's connected to the lever.
Does this sound fixable? How to disassemble and maybe adjust the drain plug?
TIA, Puddin'
****************************************************** *** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom *** ******************************************************;
Puddin' Man wrote:

Ah. This doesn't sound like the usual trip-lever/faceplate waste stopper.
A half-century ago, Crane (or maybe it was Am-Std) used a chrome stopper that moved up and down right in the drain fitting in the bottom of the tub. Is that the one?
IIRC, you can pry up the stopper and then slide it out (toward the back wall of the tub). It had a hinged rod/lever which engaged a big spring deep in the bowels of the drain.
If that's not it, you'll have to post a photo on some site.
Jim

It *sounds* like it. The stopper is chrome. Other parts of your description match. But the fixture with the overflow and lever sez Kohler (I shoulda spotted this before).

I put lots of hand pressure on the stopper: it don't wanna come out. I put a tool on it and bend it the tiniest, tinest bit, it becomes instantaneously useless. Did this with the bath lav years ago, can't do it again.

I will fiddle with it tomorrow, see what I can see.
Thanks, Puddin'
****************************************************** *** Puddin' Man PuddingDotMan at GmailDotCom *** ******************************************************;
It might be what is called a touch-toe drain, They unscrew. There is a 1/4" bolt in the bottom that screws into a bracket on the bath shoe. Thr unscrewing it - might work. Then buy a new touch toe & screw it in.
Stretch
I got it apart. There was a small phillips screw inside the stopper, obfuscated by crud.
Cleaned 20+ years of Hideous Garbage Slime out of the drain. Some of it was on the beveled edge where the stopper seals.
Seems OK now.
Thanks, Puddin'
On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:56:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@Gmail.com (Puddin' Man) wrote:

how would you adjust this tub?