bathroom wallpaper

I want to put up wallpaper in my bathroom. Any special primer needed to prep walls? They are plaster with some paint still on them. What about the high humidity any advice about hanging wallpaper in such an environment? Thanks.

Reply to
mo

Make sure the walls are absolutely clean and dry - good household cleaner, rinse, let dry. I would avoid using the room for a couple of days, if possible, so walls and ceiling arent moist from condensation. I had paint behaving strangely while painting ceiling until I figured out it was steamy from shower.

Painted wall doesn't need primer, unless your wallpaper instructions call for it. If the paint doesn cover, then any good brand primer should be fine. I don't buy paint at box stores, and the cost of good paint is worth it. Seams can be a problem if there is a lot of condensation from showers, or damp towels hanging up against. I have two papered baths, one guest and one master. In master, I put a very fine line of caulk along edge of paper that borders the tiled shower stall. Also the same along bottom edge of paper, so condensation doesn't run down and loosen edges. Installed a timer switch on the exhaust fan so's it runs about half hour during and after each shower and shuts itself off.

All papers I've used call for size, which helps adhesion. Vinyl coated paper probably much better for baths. I wouldn't want paper right around sink because it gets splashed too much.

Reply to
Norminn

It won't last as long as it would in a dry room but it should last until you tire of looking at it.

Use Vinyl paper and use the fan.

I've also noticed some papers fade faster in bathrooms. Not sure why, steam maybe or bleach fumes???.

a PVA primer wouldn't hurt especially if the walls were glossy.

Reply to
PipeDown

PVA is a good primer over drywall for paint. It is shit for wallpaper.

You are right to use a vinyl coated paper & exhaust fan.

If you're hanging a pre-pasted paper you might want to beef up the glue by adding some premixed clear to the water & rolling it on instead of using a water tray.

Best bet- prime with Gardz let dry over night. Then hang. As another poster said- caulk around wet areas.

Reply to
3rd eye

Not necessary..

so walls and ceiling arent moist from condensation.

Wrongo big time. The problem with this is that some primers don't adhere well. Moisture from the adhesive can soak through many latex primers. Causing them to lift.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen wallpaper fall off that was bonded well to the primer, only to have the primer not stuck to the wall.