Bathroom Wall Heater

My mom lives in a house that was built in the '60s. It has a bathroom wall heater that is 7"X14". The coil barely glows anymore, and I'm going to try to repair or replace it. It has SEARS inscribed on the bottom. I have no idea if I can even find the type of coil that I need any more. I've looked across the web, and I can't find any that are the same deminsions or even a little larger. If I go smaller, then I have the issue of a hole in the sheet rock to deal with. Broan has one that looks close.

I really don't seem to have many options... Or do I? Any suggestions?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

My house, also a 60s sort of place, has similar heaters in three bathrooms and the laundry room -- two small and two large. The first thing I'd check would be the tightness of the internal connections (power off!) and the contacts on the thermostat. Because of the heat/cool cycle the connections on heating elements are prone to eventual oxidation and loosening which reduces the power output. But, from personal experience, I wouldn't worry if there is not a bright orange glow as you might expect from your toaster. These units don't seem to be designed to run at high temperatures (they are made to go inside flammable walls after all). You might want to look at the heater in the dark. If you see a dull cherry red glow it might well be doing just what it was intended to do.

Reply to
John McGaw

Sears can be an amazing resource sometime, get as much information as you can, (model, serial #'s etc.) and if you haven't checked the Sears repair website yet do that. I would so exactly what the previous poster recommends, and if that doesn't work, go back to Sears. Check kitchen and bath supply houses.

Reply to
just me

I called Sears yesterday, and they mentioned that they may be able to get parts if I can come up with a model number. I was surprised, and unprepared. I'll have to go over there and see what I can do. Thanks a bunch...

Reply to
Dave

You say its not red anymore, put an ampmeter on the line to see what output is. its probably a bad rheostat.

Reply to
m Ransley