Bathroom remodeling advice needed

Page 1 of 2
I having my bathroom re-tiled and repainted. The re-tiling involves the demolition of the current tile and from what I've been told will cause a lot of mess. If I paint before I'm thinking that I'll have my newly painted walls covered with dust. If I paint after I risk spills on my new tile? Any advice would be appreciated.
TIA

Paint first! let it dry give it 2 days to be safe if it gets dusty brush it off with a soft bristle brush.

OR a wet cloth or tack rag
not taping or covering will save you moe time than cleaning any dust
dk wrote:

No different than construction in any other room. Paint goes on last unless there's an unusual situation. Painting around stuff you don't want to get paint on is done all the time and is no big deal. Tape the tile where needed, use some drop cloths and don't push the roller around too fast. Better quality paint is also less likely to splatter.
The tile work will probably leave thinset/grout smears on the painted surfaces and there will almost certainly be some touch up painting needed after the tile is done anyway.

I always paint last, no matter what the room. Masking tape and plastic painters' sheeting is cheap, and new paint can be vulnerable - not just to mortar dust, but to abrasion and other tool marks.
dk wrote:

I'm a remodel contractor and I always paint first. Any grout or thinset can be wiped off with water and sponge same goes for dust. I don't like spending the time masking and covering. Touch up is easy and fast. The time it takes masking you'd be done painting.
Rich
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"

Yea right!
Paint before demo. Makes sense to me.
1. Troll.    #1     places bet 2. Troll #2     raises
3. Thats me!     I'll call & raise.

3rd eye wrote:

not what their asking you fool
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

The OP is having the tile demoed, which means that the substrate (backerboard or drywall) will be coming out, too. How do you paint up to an edge that's being removed?
I'd agree with the painting first if it was something like hanging some cabinets where the touch-ups would be minimal, but removing tile will require more than just a touch-up.
RicodJour wrote:

You paint it when it's been replaced. Come on

If your doing a tear out then you are replacing it with something, Right?
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

One would assume so. The OP was asking about demoing the tile first or painting first. You've made an assumption and are reacting poorly to others taking exception with your assumption. Perhaps your advice may have been more kindly viewed if you explained that you meant that the demo should be completed the walls patched, then paint, then tile.
Reading between the lines, it seems to me that the OP is planning on doing the painting himself. As a contractor I would not be thrilled with the prospect of starting a job then having to wait on the owner to complete the painting before I could complete the project. I'd also be concerned with an antsy owner getting their knickers in a knot because of a ding to their beautiful new paint job. More to the point, isn't it safe to assume that the bathroom will be repainted before the tile is replaced? Painters work in finished rooms all of the time. Planning on doing touch-up painting is planning on doing something twice. I don't see the benefit.
You have you way of doing it, and that's fine. Unfortunately you lose credibility when you fly off the handle when someone disagrees with you. Usenet demands thicker skin.
evodawg wrote:

Paint in the bathroom should be gloss/semi which is much harder to spot touch-up. I don't think I would want to hire a remodel contractor who is too lazy to mask and cover things.
Tile first, mask and cover, then paint.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Why the fuck mask or cover anything when you don't need too, you idiot!!

Lazy you fool??? There is a right way and a wrong way to do things and obvious you don't have a clue. Would you like to see some pictures of some of my remodeled bathrooms? I know plenty about semi gloss paint and smooth surface, knock down texture, texture and all the rest so don't even go there.
This is the step for you idiots that think you know whats up. Demo/tearout wiring, plumbing, hardie board, large fixtures, drywall, paint, tile,grout, (light fixtures electrical and plumbing) touch up paint never very much for me just a few brush strokes. Your fucking done idiot. Now go piss down someones back and tell them you have a fucking idea what your doing. YOU DON'T
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Here fool you want to see how lazy I am. YOU HAVE STRUCK A NERVE AND ITS NOT APPRECIATED. no one calls me fucking lazy! Matter of fact this customer loves her new hall bathroom. You can see a picture of it at alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking Just look for the name "evodawg" PINHEAD
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

I'm outta here I got a 4 million dollar house in Dana Point, California I'm remodeling and yes 2 bathrooms are involved so I won't have the time to help people in this lame ass newsgroup. unappreciated bastards!
--
"you can lead them to LINUX
but you can\'t make them THINK"
evodawg wrote:

ROFLMAO!!!
Whats wrong? Doctor out of town and can't get your prescription filled?
On 30 Nov 2005 08:22:59 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Someone questioned his manhood.
dk wrote:

If dust is the only "damage", it is simple to remove with vacuum or damp cloth. The major concern is the newly painted wall being dented or scraped during remodel. If you will be caulking anything up to the painted wall during the remodel, then painting first would be best. The new tile job can be protected with tarps and tape, but your concern is understood. I save old plastic shower curtains for my messy jobs. Either way, you just need to be careful, especially if mixing or pouring paint on a new tile floor. I once refinished dark kitchen cabinets for a friend, just after she put down a new white tile floor. Made me a nervous wreck but nothing got spilled on the white grout :o)

A very intersting thread with such total disagreement.
I have no experience but two things to consider.
Is it possible what you are painting will be damaged when the tile is removed? Does that mean you should paint second, or only that you will need to touch up the places, if any, where it borders the tile?
You will have to dust the painted area regardless, EITHER because you paint first and the tile removal makes it dusty; OR because the tile removal makes it dusty and you don't want to paint something that is dusty.

things done. Makes no sense to paint than do demo/rebuild than touch up the paint. That just seems like painting twice and with semi gloss touch ups are hard to hide. I don't know how you can install and paint baseboard before a floor is installed. There will be touch up. Removing flooring sheets and manuvering them out always seems to bump a wall and any cement with wire lath always seems to find a way to scratch. Any painter can cut in around tile. The ones I use don't even mask it off. If you are not that confident lay down a drop cloth. Even a big spill, on tile, will wipe off easy. Demo, prep wall/floor surfaces, set tile, install door/window casings, baseboards, paint, install toilet, cabs/counter med chest etc.