Bathroom grout is cracking

Love reading this News group... never seen a NG stay on topic as much as this one.
I ripped out the gyprock and put cement board on my bathroom walls where the shower is and then covered them in ceramic tile. I used non sanded type grout and then sealed it. I completed this job about three years ago. I noticed today in the shower that I have a few hairline cracks in the grout (very minimal but bothersome). What would be the best way to repair this?...should I just mix up some more grout and go over the small cracks, or should I dig out the old grout and then put in the replacement grout. Are there any specialty tools used to dig out old grout? I don't need to do a whole wall or anything....just a few 6 inch long cracks that could develop into larger problems... thanks for replying... Jim
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:23:48 -0600, "Jim & Lil" <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote:

I'd just try filling them in. I wouldn't tear things out.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Certified breast self-exam subcontractor.

recommended for bathrooms by the Home Depot dude and the rest of the bathroom looks great...I personally think I am getting the cracks from the expansion and contraction of the water as the cracks are only in spots where the water is concentrated on hitting the wall.................Thanks....Jim

Hi, Latex based one keeps the color long(not yellowing) and it has lesser problem like you're having. Tony
Jim & Lil wrote:

Recently, "Jim & Lil" <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> created this masterpiece for the newsgroup archives:

I put tile down in my kitchen this past winter, also the Home Depot stuff. Two weeks ago, I noticed some of the grout was wet near the fridge. I discovered a pinhole leak in the plastic water line to the ice maker. I fixed it and the grout dried, but now it's cracking away from the tile. I'm very disappointed. I don't know if the quality of the grout is a problem, but i don't think a little moisture should have caused the grout to crack.
BE
wrote in message

Elvis,
Did you seal the grout? Unless you seal it, grout is porous and absorbs water, lots of water = cracking.
EJ
"Jim & Lil" <jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca> wrote in message

with non-sanded grout, you can scrape a little out and add more back in. you have to make sure there's no water spots or soap, or the new won't stick to the old. also, if it's been sealed, it may not stick either. you'll have to dig down pretty deeply.
there's a tool that you can get. looks like a little saw with about a dozen teeth and some carbide grit, or you can use a rounded off screwdriver. be careful, because if you chip or scratch the existing tiles, you'll want to take them out and do them over.
Thanks to all that replied....I think I might find a tool and dig a little and replace the grout......Regards...Jim