Bathroom (elec.) Wiring for TV

I have a small LCD panel in my bathroom. It uses 12V power. Power and video are in one cable, which is run through a small hole in the wall to the room on the other side (where my A/V equipment is located).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Ha! I see code violations on the home shows all the time. The most common one is the picket spacing on railings and handrails. In reality what usually happens is the builder installs a cheap *code* railing then after the CO is issued the builder then installs the stuff the owner really wants. Thus was the case for some folks I designed a 4 story lighthouse for. After the CO they installed a railing made out of old rusty pitchforks, shovels and assorted farming tools. They converted an old hand pump into a sink faucet in the powder room and several other unique things. None of that stuff would have met code.

Reply to
Don

You're making the mistake of believing the codes are *right*. Our light switch is on a GFCI and there is a glass door leading into the shower, it has worked well for over 3 years now. I know of hundreds of homes that have the same set up. Same with the TV over the tub, it happens all the time in very upscale homes. You don't want to get me going on the codes. I've been railing against them for decades. Codes create a substandard level for which cheap builders are eager to comply. Thats why the landscape is inundated with poorly designed and even more poorly built boxes of trash.

Reply to
Don

Thats what remotes are for.

Reply to
Don

It would be more convincing if you said "In at least one example seen by one random person, poor wiring managed not to electrocute anyone or cause a fire in 3 years of use."

Reply to
kevin

According to Don :

You must be watching the wrong ones. The ones I've seen have caught that as a code violation.

When someone impales themselves and gets tetanus while stumbling around one night, or, try to sell this house to someone in the future, I'm sure they'll be happy with their choice.

I don't see how an old hand pump used as a faucet would necessarily violate code. I've made my own faucets too.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Dropping the remote in the tub won't hurt you (directly), but it will probably hurt IT. PURE water doesn't conduct electricity, but water with anything in it probably will. That messes up the electronics.

Maybe you could get a cheap (easily replaceable) universal remote for bathtub use.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Thats the thing. You don't have to *see* it. Codes are what they are, no common sense necessary. But then, I'm in a place where the codes are created at will by people that don't have to know what they're doing, SW FL.

Reply to
Don

"kevin"> wrote

And thats where you would be wrong. Ever heard of Deion Sanders? How about Mike Greenwell of the BoSox? Just 2 of the many clients I have designed homes for. I don't design *to code*. I design far beyond the code. I don't expect you to be able to understand that. As far as *convincing* you, I couldn't care less.

Reply to
Don

So? Grab another one at wallyworld for $5. Its a non issue.

Reply to
Don

Which is essentially what I said after that (use cheap remotes).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

"And thats where you would be wrong. Ever heard of Deion Sanders? How about Mike Greenwell of the BoSox? Just 2 of the many clients I have designed homes for. I don't design *to code*. "

Wow, and I suppose you don't bother getting permits or inspections then either. Guess that's OK, because it's a celebrity! And I'm sure one day when you wind up in court because someone died from electrocution, it will be OK, cause it was a celebrity. Do you have any professional licenses or insurance?

Reply to
trader4

trader4> wrote

Sorry, I thought I was dealing with someone that a some education and experience. Guess I was wrong. That you believe building *to code* is adequate says volumes about your character. Unfortunately, that is just not good enough for me or my clients. I have been licensed in my state since 1986.

Onward.

Reply to
Don