Bathroom (elec.) Wiring for TV

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Thanks for the information folks. I looked at the TV last night and I was mistaken, it's a 15", not 19". In any case, I think I'll take the advice to consult with an electrician. If it can't be placed where I originally intended due to code (or risk), I'll consider mounting it up high or on a different wall like another poster suggested. I'll follow up with the outcome.
Jimbo

Cut a window in a convenient interior wall, plug the window with lexan, and mount the TV in the adjacent room.
(or, conversely, you could kill your television and teach your wife to read)
Goedjn wrote:

***Cut a window in a convenient interior wall, plug the window with

Oh yeah...that's way easier than running an outlet. Conversly...AH

Or she could take a shower and be done with it.....

I had a 9 inch tv at the far end of the counter from the tub. I take baths in the evening and they usually last 30 minutes. I have the speaker board from a record player from the 1930's mounted above the tub. It has a woofer and a smaller speaker (tweeter?). I have a jack where the tv is, and a volume control with a plastic knob mounted in the wall next to the tub. I was careful that my hands were not dripping water when I adjusted the volume.
I paid 2 dollars for this B&W tv in 1983 and it lasted 19 years with no repairs.
Now I have a 9 inch color tv with remote control. There is NO electrical risk from using a remote control when in the bath. Or a cordless phone.

I have a theory that if the heater or tv falls into the tub, it won't kill me if I just don't touch it when I'm getting out. Perhaps you could test t hat for me, and let me know if anyone in your family buys the farm. I haven't got the nerve to test it myself.

You go to the bathroom in the garden? I'm confused.

If I had to have a LCD in the bath, I would at least make it a 12 volt automobile model and make sure the power supplies AC connection was far away from the bath. This doesn't make it 100% safe, but it does make it a lot safer.
Beachcomber
On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:47:19 GMT, not snipped-for-privacy@xxx.yyy (Beachcomber) wrote:

I have a small LCD panel in my bathroom. It uses 12V power. Power and video are in one cable, which is run through a small hole in the wall to the room on the other side (where my A/V equipment is located).

Mark Lloyd
Jimbo wrote:

change channel, moisture has caused a short in wiring, and ....

Thats what remotes are for.

Dropping the remote in the tub won't hurt you (directly), but it will probably hurt IT. PURE water doesn't conduct electricity, but water with anything in it probably will. That messes up the electronics.
Maybe you could get a cheap (easily replaceable) universal remote for bathtub use.

Mark Lloyd

So? Grab another one at wallyworld for $5. Its a non issue.

Which is essentially what I said after that (use cheap remotes).

Mark Lloyd