Bathroom Remodel II

Followup on the previous question.

I am thinking of replacing the old standard tub with a whirlpool when remodel the bathroom. One of the contractor who estimated the entire remodel would cost $12000 and about $2000 extra for whirlpool tub.

However, I am concerned about my well water. The water is very hard and the wall next to the bathtub usually turns orange in a few months if not weeks. And the pressure is very low.

How do I improve on the pressure and the quality of the water just enough and how much would that cost me?

Thanks pax

Reply to
packat

Why didn't you ask the contractor? Low pressure could be anything from the pressure switch setting which takes a turn of a screwdriver to fix to old galvanized piping that needs to be replaced through the whole house. Fixing the hard water requires either a water softener or a new well into an aquifer that doesn't have those problems. You can find the price of water softeners online. The labor obviously depends on how difficult it is to install it where it needs to go, local labor rates, permits, etc.

Reply to
trader4

I've been watching this since I also really need to redo the bathroom but am not happy with the cost. But I researched doing a whirlpool tub instead of a regular tub and you don't want to do it. Look for old threads about whirlpool tubs or start a new one.

They are dirty. There is just no real way to clean them. The water gets left in the pipes, mixed with discarded skin cells and oil, in the dark, and is a perfect growth medium for all kinds of bacteria and fungi. The jets themselves need you to clean them with a toothbrush.

You'll use it a few times and then maybe once a year, and you'll turn it on and gunk will flow out from the pipes.

After doing the research, I won't even use one when I go on vacation.

I used to have something that slid over the side of the tub and jetted the water - I'll have to dig that out of the basement and see it it still works.

Reply to
dgk

I am having one of the contractors back to discuss these potential work. Thanks for the tip. Water pressure is important to me. Taking showere these days has been very unstatisfying. But a new well seems expensive... :-( pax

Reply to
packat

I saw a Pipeless Spa Bathtub from "Sanijet Pipeless Hydrotheraphy". Their products do not have pipes. Instead they recycle water through small jets at various locations in the tub. Smaller models are priced around a little over $2000. I assumed we can just fill the tub with clean hot water each time we use the tub. I am not sure how powerful the jets are though.

There may be other vendors that offer similar technology. I will do more research.

Any thought?

Reply to
packat

Start a separate thread with that in the subject line. People who know about such things are more likely to see it and respond. It seems to verify the problems with the more common design.

Reply to
dgk