Basement storm windows

I have the standard steel basement windows set in the foundation. There is a steel support in the middle of the windows, so not change of using replacements (too small as well) I was thinking of just using the storms windows you find at HD, screwing them into the foundation on the outside. . What are you guys using for sealing up basement windows? Thanks.
in a fire you must leave a way out

Build semi-flimsy wooden frames, slightly smaller than the space into which they need to fit on the inside. Attach a handle to frame can be pulled out quickly. Use thin plexiglass instead of glass, for safety reasons. Attach rubber weather stripping to edges to the frame stays put when pushed into place.