Basement Shower Walls???

I have a basement bathroom with a sort of primitive shower (no stall). The previous owners never used it, but I'd like to make it work. Is there something I can apply to the concrete block walls so that I don't have to install tile? I'm thinking of some waterproof paint or epoxy or something. I'd like to put in tile, but it's a small space with concrete walls all around and exposed water and sewer lines. If I thought I could mount tile directly to the wall, I would, but it may be too rough and uneven, and I'm not sure there's enough space to install/fit tile between the wall and the pipes.
Thanks.
Brian
Check out swimming pool paint!

Have you thought about "surround" sections? Prefabricated to a variety of sizes and pieced together to form the walls.