basement shower tiling

I'm going to attempt to build and tile a bathroom shower and have a few questions and concerns.

  1. I don't like cold tiles on the floor, can I build the floor up on 1.5 in styrofoam SM. Will it be rigid enough, or will it cause my tiles to crack eventually. I would put SM directly on basement floor, mortar mix to form drain, waterproof membrane, thinset then tile.

  1. I would like to use glass blocks for part of the shower frame, but how would I hang a shower door on them? I'm thinking in this day and age I should be able to find some kind of adhesive that would work.

Comments?

Reply to
Wayne

i don't know, but Floormate appears to be denser than the wall product you are suggesting. see info at:

i do know you can look at many adhesives at:

buffalobill

Hi Wayne,

  1. I wouldn't recomend using any styrofoam under the tile unless you had a 3-4 in concrete slab between the styrofoam and tile setting bed. Otherwise the styrofoam would probably move and your tile would crack. You can't be sure that the styrofoam would compress uniformaly. If you need to use styrofoam, use a cement backerboard that's made for tiling, this way is a little more safe.

  1. you would probably have to construct some type of rigid frame (aluminum chanel type frame) that you can place over the end of the glass block wall and run it up to the ceiling where you can anchor it up there. You can then attach the door to the aluminum channel frame.

Reply to
miller_a

Thanks for the info, I'll have to reconsider my original plan....I appreciate it.

Reply to
Wayne