Basement progress :-)

Slowly but surely!!! Got a new job so I will have 1 week between transition where I hope to knock alot more out.
Comments, questions, concerns, all welcome :-) Go ahead, I'm thick skinned :-)
http://flickr.com/photos/91696572@N00 /
The space will be primarily a game room. We will have a pool table, bar, seating area, and I will be putting my pinball machines and arcade games down there as well. Do it yourself projects really teach you things. I learned to leave drywall to the pros fro mnow on!
Chris
Very nice. Are you doing a ceiling ? Drop Ceiling ?
Yes. At this point we are planning a drop ceiling. The floors will be Mowhawk Laminate wood (already purchased at $.89 / Sq ft. We woud be crazy nbot to buy it at that price!
Thanks for the nice words. Have a great day!
Chris

Just a thought (I didn't read the original post), you might want the consider CeilingMax for the grid. It has an almost zero drop. If you are height-critical, this is the way to go. It's a little pricey, but it does allow for easy panel removal, and as I said, almost no loss of floor to ceiling distance.
SilverUnicorn wrote:

Thank you for the idea. I will definately look into that.
Is that available at a big box store like HomeDepot or Lowes?
Thanks!
Chris

Don't know about HD or Lowes .... I don't remember seeing them at HD and the Lowes store just opened a few weeks ago. But, they have a website http://www.ceilingmax.com . BTW, I saw it at Menards ... I don't know if you have one of those in your area.
SilverUnicorn wrote:

Hi, I checked the site and it seems like many of the Home Depots do have the kit. Not all of them, but many. -Jim

Chris,
Hi. Did you have much experience before this? I am considering trying this, but never did any detail work before. Have repaired wooden porches back in Chicago, but that is pretty rough work.
Just curious what lessons learned in framing and any prep work for floor/walls.
I don't think the full email thread is on site anymore.
Thanks.
Jim

Sent you an e-mail :-)
Chris

On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 07:18:06 -0400, "SilverUnicorn"

Okay, Chris, I'll take you at your word.
I'm a little concerned at the width of the taping I see on inside and outside corners ... may not be wide enough to get a good, clean "feather".
You might try shining a light down the wall to show up any imperfections .... you might also prime first (shows up imperfections) and then re-tape if needed.
If this is your first, second, or even third job like this, it looks very creditable.
Ken
Ken -
Than you for the constructive criticism. This is indeed the first time I have ever done drywall of any kind (or wall framing, or anything like this). I have indeed had some difficulty with the taping, and I feel that for me it will have been the hardest part of the job. While I am sure the job won't end up perfect, and I am OK with that, I will use your suggestion to see if I really bought the farm on any of the walls. That sounds like an easy way to see bad things before painting.
Thank you for your ideas. Like I said, this is all new to me and has been quite a long process to this point. I value anyone's input on how to make things better, or where there is room for improvement. That said, there's no way I'm starting over :-P.
Thanks again and have a great day!
Chris