baseboards bled, but still no heat.

Page 2 of 2
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair, alt.hvac
From: .p.jm@see_my_sig_for_address.com - Find messages by this author Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 17:29:02 GMT Local: Mon, Dec 19 2005 11:29 am Subject: Re: baseboards bled, but still no heat
....@see_my_sig_for_address.com wrote :

Hey MF, are you having problems with the meaning of alt.hvac, or just the pronounciation' of alt.hvac, or perhaps the spelling of alt.hvac?
Or maybe you don't know how to use a filter file because you are just butt fucking dumb.
Let me guess, you're an american, no?
The expansion tank allows for just that, as the water is heated it expands and needs somether to go so it expands into that tank. Notice the drain is at the bottom.
On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 00:00:09 GMT, "Diezmon"

<snip>
I'll add my .02.
Your circulator is on the return side, so one would normally suspect an air lock, especially with one zone (sort of) working.
If I understand you, you:
1. Made sure makeup feed valve was full open.
2. Closed the shutoff on the return line of one of the zones.
3. Opened the drain valve on the inlet side of the circulator. This allows water to flow from the makeup feed, through the backflow preventor, through one of the zones, and out the drain valve. Flow was good and strong.
4. You repeated this for the other zone.
If this is what you did, you pressure purged the system properly, and should not have significant air in the loops.
If you are then still not getting circulation it is most likely the circulator.
But you can try another thing first.
I don't see a boiler drain valve in the picture, but I assume there is one there. Turn off the burner and let things cool a bit. Close the valve on the outlet side of the boiler. Repeat your purge but use the boiler drain valve instead of the one up on the inlet side of the circ. This will force water to flow through through the circulator and the boiler.
If you still get a solid, forceful flow (not just the boiler draining, then it really is most likely the circulator.
Shut it down, close all the valves, and drain the boiler down below the point where the circ is plumbed in. Remove the circ and bench test it.
HTH,
Paul
<snip>

Yep, that's what we did for both zones.
We did try one more thing to try to rule out air and/or a frozen line: We ran hot water through each zone, using the utility sink as our hot water source. I won't bore you with details of how we did it( unless anyone's interested ), but all baseboards are working properly, nice and hot. This also allowed me to verify where the piping goes in the first floor where everything is embedded in concrete :)
<snipped the rest>
I'm now convinced it's the pump, and picked a new one up today. Once I get the old one off, and prove that it's fried, I'll install the new one :)
Thanks everyone for the prompt responses!
Tim