Whirlpool Dryer Runs but no heat!

I've a Whirlpool Dryer. It runs, but no heat. How can I repair this problem? Thanks....

Reply to
kai

Electric? Gas?

If electric, either the element or control.

If gas, the igniter or igniter sensor or gas supply or control.

Reply to
CJT

Judging from your post, you probably haven't got the ability to repair it yourself. I recommend you call 1 800 APPLIANCE REPAIR ;-)

Reply to
Richard Blaine

Hi,

Electric, gas? Model#?

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

Appliance Repair Aid

Just anecdotal, but my electric dryer does that when one leg of the 220 is missing. Apparently the motor to turn the drum only needs one leg, but the element uses both.

Reply to
Rick Brandt

fixed a friends moms electric dryer recently element broke.

i hate folks who attack the original poster like your too dumb to fix it.

after all each of us had to start somehere

Reply to
hallerb

The following information is based on your ability to use a multimeter either to check olms or voltage, and is for a Whirlpool dryer with the removable rear panel and the element in the rear. This type of dryer has the lint screen on the top of the dryer.

  1. Set your meter to volts and check for 240 at the outlet. Remove plug and check prongs of pigtail to make sure they are not burned. Leave dryer unplugged.
  2. Remove rear panel, check connections of pigtail at terminal block.
  3. Set your meter to ohms. Check for about 20 ohms on terminals for the element. This reading is based on 5200 watt element. You can do the math: watts/volts=ohms. Also, check for continuity from the element terminals to the element housing. Reading should be very high.

  1. Check for continuity on all thermostats and thermal fuses back there. Reading should be around zero or .1 ohms.

  1. Change any component that doesn't show proper reading.

This is based on most common reasons for no-heat problem. There are more exotic answers to the problem, such as timer contacts, but this is the simpler side of things. It also does not give you ideas about how to keep the problem from happening again.

Reply to
nospamtodd

barbarow

Somebody who asks how to fix a dryer, but doesn't even think to mention whether it's gas or electric, probably *is* too ignorant to fix it.

Reply to
Doug Miller