Ball park cost for breaker box replacement

Page 3 of 3
If you want to put a breaker box in a ball park, you need lots of money. You will probably need a 10,000 amp service panel. Thats assuming you mean a baseball stadium. You might mean a place where gay guys park their cars to play with other guys balls. Nowadays one never knows........
Steve W.
On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:47:09 -0700, "Eigenvector"

I had two similar jobs done when I sold my house about two years ago and purchased a new one. On the house sold, they upgraded the system from a fuse box to a circuit breaker box. On the new house, they replaced an old breaker box that is now viewed as a fire hazzard and upgraded the service. I don't recall the exact amounts, but I think each job was in the $500 to $1,000 range with the electrician providing material. This was in the midwest. YMMV in different parts of the country. Eigenvector wrote:

Sounds close to what I'm hearing. I contacted them today and they talked me out of upgrading the box until I was ready to go to 200 A service, so for now they'll install dual grounds, using sufficient copper to allow for future upgrades - although he mentioned that its the same ground for 100A and 200A, and replace all the breakers. He's got a guy coming out to mark the ground spots, locate the utility lines, and then take a quick looky at the box to level-set the job. $191 for the first hour, $91 each additional hour work.

On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 17:20:18 -0700, "Eigenvector"

IMHO:
Paying a contractor by the hour is dumb(unless they have the hours spelled out in the job description, so you are still only paying by the job). This encourages slop, and waste. They (bad contractors) can trick you into thinking they are being careful, and purposely going very slow. Let me guess they offered to do all the clean up and even vaccuum.
tom

Boy you must really hate contractors, or have had far too many bad experiences. I'm glad I'm not as cynical and world weary as you are.

On Tue, 19 Sep 2006 18:15:46 -0700, "Eigenvector"

Trust no one!
;)

Are parts cheaper in the midwest?
A good square-d panel (with a few included breakers) will cost 200+ here, Pa. Plus additional QO singles are about 5 bucks a piece, and any grounding upgrades will need wire and rod(s) and pipe clamps(about 3 bucks a piece).
So material alone this could be over 300 bucks.
Was it done by a licensed electrician, permit and inspection?
tom