backed up toilet

Embarassing, but probably a common problem. My toilet is clogged now and it's completed backed up. I would normally use my plunger in this case but the water level is almost at the top of the bowl and inserting a plunger would result in some rather disgusting, muddy water to get all over the bathroom floor. I would also normally wait for the water level to drop in these cases...but it's been a day and a half and the water level has remained UNCHANGED. I welcome any suggestions on how I can unclog this toilet. Thanks again!
Grab a bucket and get busy... then plunge. After you get it unclogged, dump the bucket back in.
Kingoatmeal wrote:

Get thee to yon hardware store (or HD) and purchase a "closet auger". It's a short snake with a guide tube and a crank. You may be able to clear the clog without making too big a mess. Spread newspaper around JIC.
Jim
The closet auger is a great tool. I bought one a few yeas ago and my only regret is that I bought the shorter one. I had a plumber use one on mine and he pullled out stringy mop like material. Not sure what it was because we don't use a stirng mop in the house. I can't imagine what it was, but toilet clogs are a real pain especially if you have only one lousey toilet it the house

The $25 auger from Ridgid is far superior to the $8 junky one. Well worth the extra money.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

When you insert a plungerinto a full bowl, the only thing other than the mass of the plunger's rubber is air. If you insert the plunger slow enough and press down slow enough, the only thing that will be added to the water in the bowl is air, and that will rise to the surface and dissipate. Once you have eliminated the air in the plunger, there is nothing to add to the water in the bowl, and you can be as aggresive as you want.
--
Bill

What Bill said.
And next time, although I know how fun it is to play "how close to the top can I fill the toilet with crap?".... consider flushing at regular intervals during your marathon, world record setting, guiness book breaking crap session.
No fair! Myself and another fellow are going home teaching tonight, and I'll be giggling all night. They will ask why I'm giggling, and I can't tell them I'm thinking about some one's marathon crap sesson with multflush option.
--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I'm not sure I should encourage you....but I did get a chuckle out of this one too....take care Matt....Ross

Ever hear of a "courtesy flush"? That's when you are in a public john, and you flush right when you dump to keep the smell from knocking the guy in the next stall off his seating. Or at home to keep from gassing out the cocker spaniel. It passes the crap, then the next flush passes all the paper you use. Or, you can do a couple of "courtesy flushes" so that there is plenty of water in between loads.
You might consider changing your diet, too, and eating more fruits and vegetables.
Steve
willshak wrote:

Not only that but the air captured in a plumber's helper is compressible. If you can manage to get rid of it the plumber's helper is much more effective at clearing a blockage; water doesn't compress and the full force of the stroke is delivered directly to the blockage itself.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 00:16:39 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"

This has always been my suspicion. For that reason AND for the rare situation the original poster finds himself in, I dip the plunger into the water as nearly horizontal as I can. This method allows water to flow into the "reservoir" of the plunger, with very little air. Luckily, this is actually easier when the toilet is very full.
You still have to approach the first few strokes pretty gingerly, but if you get a good seal those first few strokes should bring the water level down some. Then you can be more vigorous.
I have a toilet auger, but I keep it in the garage so it's always a last resort. I rarely need it.
Greg Guarino
Kingoatmeal wrote:

Uh - I hate to tell you this, but that ain't mud...

No shit...
Sorry, couldn't resist.
reminds me of a QVC show selling combo phone and TP dispenser for the bathroom...No! They really had that product for sale..
Called up their 800 number and when asked how many I wanted, I said "Gimme a shitload of them!" Click! <plonk>