Back-Flow Preventer

I had a back-flow preventer installed last fall. It works fine but I have a question. There is usually about 1 inch of water inside the housing. When I open up the inspection cover, it drains away but more enters after a short while. My question is this: Is this normal? If not what do I do to resolve the problem.

Reply to
Ultraglide

Well, since it's in the sump pump crock, it ought not be a big problem.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On what?

It works

What housing?

When I open up the inspection

Depends on what it is, how it's assembled, and what the overall system structure is.

If not what do I do

You might start by putting together a clear, concise description of your problem and a clear, concise phrasing of what you need to know. I suspect it's a sump pump but that's a small part of what needs to be known.

-- How to Post to a newsgroup:

Sump Pumps 101:

HTH,

Twayne`

Reply to
Twayne

Nowhere did I say anything about sump pumps. This is simply a back flow preventer with a check valve. The valve is installed in the sanitary drain about a foot and a half below the floor in the basement. There is a box-shaped housing which goes over the top of the valve. There is an inspection cover which can be unscrewed to check the operation of the valve.

Reply to
Ultraglide

No where did you say anything about a sanitary drain.

Anyhow, back to sump pumps. The backflow preventer is typically right at the discharge line. It's in the sump crock, so it's not a big issue if it leaks a bit.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Doesn't sound like a problem tome.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

How many times do I have to tell you, there is no sump pump. There was never any sump pump. It is to stop the sanitary storm sewer from backing up when there is heavy rainfall and the storm sewer is overloaded. If you don't know what a back-up preventer is find some other poster to waste time on.

Reply to
Ultraglide

Good luck on that!

Reply to
Bob F

This is the first time you have stated what the "preventer" is for. I have a "preventer" for my sump pump discharge, so you are at fault for not stating clearly what kind of a "preventer" you have.

Reply to
hrhofmann

This is the first time you have stated what the "preventer" is for. I have a "preventer" for my sump pump discharge, so you are at fault for not stating clearly what kind of a "preventer" you have. If you knew what it was, then no explanation would be necessary. If you don't know what it was then you obviously have nothing to add to the thread.

Reply to
Ultraglide

Actually, it shouldn't be an issue, since the backflow preventer is in the sump pump crock. You could make the sump pump discharge pipe go up like an inverted J trap, and that would help reduce backflow.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon