Backflow preventer dripping

My irrigation system was installed in spring of 2002, and included a RPZ type backflow preventer (Watts 009). This summer, it has gradually developed a slow leak. It is dripping from the water outlet on the bottom. It has never been exposed to freezing conditions.

Since it is only 2 years old, I can't imagine that the rubber seals have failed already. What could cause this thing to fail so quick? And can they be repaired?

Thanks, John

Reply to
John Vannoy

It is not unusual for these to develop leaks. Its in there nature the way their designed. I have many checked at work annually and always have some that need rebuilding. The state of Wisconsin requires a person to be a certified technitian to rebuild backflow preventers. You need to check with your State or local codes. They absolutely can be rebuilt.

Reply to
Donald Guzzetta

I've had mine stick occasionally too. Sometimes banging it a few times with a hammer is all it takes. Otherwise, the top of mine comes off easily. Don't remember exactly what I did, but basicly just took the top off, checked inside, made sure everything moved ok and put it back together and it worked fine.

Reply to
Chet Hayes