Awning cost? ? ?

We have a canvas awning on our porch which probably will need replacing in a year or two.

It's about 7 feet deep, 14 feet wide.It's supported by a frame of pipes.

My question: What is it likely to cost? I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who might have had recent experience.

Reply to
Ray

Greetings Ray

We recently had a 10x15 awning put in place for 2000 SGDs. Those are Singapore dollars.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Simitron Gluscia

Where is Singapore???????????????

Just kidding. That does help. I gather that would be about US$1400.

The problem is, I have no idea whether costs in Singapore are more or less costs in US. If anyone in the USA has a figure, I'd like to hear it.

Reply to
Ray

I have a lot of experience, but need more information. Is this a frame with the canvas stretched over it, or one of the retractable ones?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

A follow up on my short answer after I took a few seconds to google it up and do the math.

Canvas is odd. It comes in various widths, but is sold by the running yard, so it takes some calculations to come out with square yardage. I say you need about 10 square yards to do your job, and that converts to about 8 lineal yards. Depending on the fastening method, more material may be needed to roll the edges so grommets can be put on it, or using aluminum extrusions to fasten it to the frame can up the cost, too. You may already have what you need on the old awning. As I say, it is difficult to say how much it will be without more information. I have made hundreds of these with 1" square tubing frames from small to big. Details, frillyness, complexity of anchoring system, using bunting, it all adds to the cost. At $15 per yard (running), I'd say you have about $150 in material costs with shipping. Little more or less with grommets or fastening system. Simplest one is grommets which allow the material to be pulled tight, and readjusted with weathering. Material costs are approximately $1.50 a square foot.

Now, labor. It all depends on the labor. People are hungry now, so you may get a deal on that. Ask around. Shops are going to be highest, if they will do it at all. A garage operator or upholstery guy would be less. At least you can do the math in your head as to what the guy is charging for labor, as the materials are $150-$175.

I'm getting ready to start on some for myself. I bought a Singer walking foot 111w155 commercial machine for $250. I have already fixed a ton of things I would have tossed otherwise. I would never spend what they want for window awnings, but wouldn't hesitate to do them myself, having the welding equipment for the frames and the sewing machine for the canvas. What area of the world do you live in, and can you send or post pics of the job?

HTH. Let us know how it shakes up. The $1400 for the Singapore awning was high. I once had a "friend" quote me $1,000 for a 100 sf spa cover. $850 for labor? He's off my Christmas card list.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Thanks for the detailed answer, Steve -- that is just what I need.

Yes, it is retractable -- you can pull it up against the house, as we do during the winter.

It's probably going to be a year before we replace it. It's possible that the company which installed it before might have all the specs on file, and that could save a bit. They have a label with a phone number on it. Hope they are still in business.

Physically replacing the awning would require a trip to my house. I don't think I could handle that task myself.

Reply to
Ray

I wonder what would happen if you actually called the phone number and asked the questions. Let us know.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Hi, If you have a RV dealer nearby, they have many choices of retractable awnings.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

"Ray" wrote

Those are available from Camping World and other suppliers. I don't think it would be a big job to replace one for the average DIY'er.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Depends. Are you wanting to buy it installed, or just buy replacement panels and lacing and put it up yourself? And what quality of fabric? The ultra-shiny stuff like they do on those storefront awnings costs more.

A service like this is going to vary greatly from area to area, depending on local demand and level of competition. Make a simple diagram, take some digital photos of outside and inside (including an overall shot showing any access problems), and stop by your local tent and awning place for a ballpark estimate. They may even be willing to come out and do the estimate themselves. In the town I am in, for a small residential job, you have your choice of the local guy and the local guy. For a big commercial job, the guy from the big town 20 minutes away might be interested, but for one small awning, it isn't worth his time.

-- aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers