Patio awning recommendations...

One for TMH perhaps.

We'd like to fit an awning over our patio. We have about about 25cm between the top of the window and the soffits. Lengthwise we'd like something about 3M long. Reachwise, 3M out the way would also be nice but I've no idea how far you can safely go in this direction.

I'm guessing that for longer reaches some sort of load-spreading frame on the wall becomes necessary.

Any tips, thoughts?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

So a bungalow (or a very low house or very high patio)? ;-)

I was kindly given something very similar by one of the other nice Tims here (Mr Lamb) but because it was fitted to a bungalow, it was mounted on two 75mm square steel posts that were set in the ground in front of some French windows.

When you feel the (not inconsiderable) weight and look at the length of the lever (~10:1?) I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to mount it directly to any wall over a large doorway and certainly where there wasn't a substantial amount of wall above the height of the awning (like on a bungalow) to keep everything in place.

Other than the above, I'm guessing many people fit these things where I might not and have no issues ... or maybe they just make sure they are retracted in any bad weather?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m