Automobiles

Page 3 of 4
Limp Arbor wrote:

PV wrote:

I tried to be a good citizen once. I took my used oil to the local Auto Zone where I'd see a card indicating that the store would take your used motor oil. The clerk handed me a sheaf of EPA paperwork that I would have to spend at least an hour filling out with all sorts of personal info. Remembering what the government had done to the folks who had brought their old car batteries to a lead recycling operation that had misbehaved, I changed my mind and found a patch of weeds that needed killing. Please don't tell the EPA, I may have killed the rare tongue wiggling weed plant that is a protected species.
TDD
Molly Brown wrote:

and your point is?
Molly Brown wrote:

Yes, today they are full of plastic covers under the hood. Remove those and it is generally the same vehicle as 50 years ago. Engine, plugs, wires, radiator, oil filter, generator etc......same stuff. Just different controls and computerized. I still can be seen in my garage maintaining my car, truck and lawn tractors. I kept up with the technology where most did not but some did.
Van Chocstraw wrote:

Pick up any hot rod magazine these days and you'll see that the enthusiasm is still there. Most of what I've seen is the switch to hopping up the small front drive cars and turning them into the pocket rockets that you see buzzing past you at every turn.
TDD
On Fri, 8 May 2009 09:40:33 -0700 (PDT), Molly Brown

    You won't see me do it because I do mine in the garage usually with the door shut.
On Fri, 8 May 2009 10:18:20 -0700 (PDT), Pat

Not completely true. MANY cars today are almost impossible to change the filter on without a hoist (and still almost impossible then). To change the filter without spashing oil everywhere is a real challenge.
Also, environmental laws make it harder to dispose of the oil and filter.

All of the above. Mainly: Most people today a) don't know how to service their car (or anything else) b) don't have the tools/facilties to service their cars c) don't want to get their hands dirty
On Fri, 08 May 2009 19:28:27 -0400, in alt.home.repair, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

The whole "everybody was in their driveways working on their cars" is a fallacy too; *most* people weren't/aren't competent with a wrench and *most* people have always taken their cars to Cooter's Garage or Goober's Gas or whatever. Nothing new there.
For those of us who have wrenched on our cars and still do, here's why you never see us do it: modern cars need so little attention, and what they need can be done so easily, that we have it all wrapped up and working on a cold beer by the time someone drives by and wonder why we're not out there working on our cars!
--
Due to Usenet spam, emailed replies must pass an intelligence test: if
you want me to read your reply, be sure to include this line of text in
On May 8, 7:28pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

While I don't doubt that some cars like this exist, I think they are relatively rare. I've changed the oil myself in the driveway on quite a few makes/models of cars and have yet to find one yet that you need a hoist.

I don't know what you were doing with oil in the past, but unless you were pouring it out on the ground, or down the storm sewer, not all that much has changed. Here in NJ I just take it to the local auto parts/service place in a 5 gallon pail and they take it for free. Filter gets drained, then placed in with the regular trash.

On Sat, 9 May 2009 13:02:53 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Up here in Ontario the filters are considered toxic waste unless they have been squeezed dry. My brother's shop has a converted logsplitter than knocks them down to 1/2" "cookies"

Then you had points and plugs that never lasted, carburators that could be adjusted, 70000 mile starters, alternators and crappy manufacturing, Now its different , but I never use a dealer unless its under warranty. I see you dont know much about cars or how or where to fix them.
ransley wrote:

Remember when you couldn't leave the ignition switch on without the motor running for fear of burning up the points or ballast resistor? Vehicles don't seem to be a delicate anymore. Darn, I miss the days of auto maintenance being akin to alchemy. Do you know where your feeler gauges are?
TDD
"The Daring Dufas" wrote:

Yep, both sets of 'em, too!
Jon
On Sat, 09 May 2009 11:10:07 -0500, against all advice, something

Yeah. But I don't need them.
--

Real men don\'t text.

On Fri, 8 May 2009 09:40:33 -0700 (PDT), against all advice,
say:

My car ('04 Audi TT) has a 10,000 mile service interval. See how long a '68 Anything would run if you ignored it for ten thousand miles.
Cars are *way* better than they used to be.
--

Real men don\'t text.

on 5/8/2009 9:02 PM (ET) Steve Daniels wrote the following:

Except for the styling. It's very hard to tell what make some cars are now unless you can read the badge.
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Molly Brown wrote:

Today's cars are rather electronic gizmos rather than mechanical for grease monkeys. Nothing much in there for DIY type.
Up until the sixties and seventies on the weekends I used to see people in their driveways and garages repairing or doing maintenance on their cars. I hardly ever see that anymore. It used to be that if you wanted to have your car repaired you could just go to any repair shop. Today you have to consider what the repair involves. If its something complicated you need to take it to the dealer and pay the big bucks or same time next year youre probably going to have the same problem. To know why this is just lift up the hood of a car from that era and then do the same thing to an automobile today.
And people simply don't want to do work on their cars any more; I know I don't. I don't have the needed tools, the time nor the desire.
Also many home associations don't permit people to work on cars in their driveways.
The home association where my daughter lives wont even allow a basketball hoop to be set up on her driveway, or permit any games to be played on the front lawns.

What days, if any, are they permitted to have sex in the bedroom as long as the lights are off? I wonder why people choose to live in places that dictate their lives, but it is their choice.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Isn't that what the dumb masses voted for in the last presidential election? *snicker*
TDD