Automatic Heat Tape Power

Hello Everyone,

I live in a Mobile Home and use Auto. Heat Tapes on the plumbing in the winter to prevent freeze-ups. I have a one foot extension cord with separated conductors so I can use a Clamp-On Amp. Meter. When the temperature is high and the Tape is turned off and the extension is plugged in between the Tape and the Power, should there be any Amperage to be measured on the Meter at all, or should the Meter read 0.00 ACA ?

Thank You So Kindly for any help you might be able to offer,

Wayne R. Russ

Reply to
Wayne R. Russ

Not a good idea to put heat tapes on extension cords, unless your using 12 or 10 gauge wire.

I agree if the tape is off I would assume zero amps. Depends a lot on your heat tape. Some have neon lights and they would draw a fraction

Reply to
SQLit

Thank You SQLit for your response,

I can't claim to have done it knowingly, but I did make the extension out of 12 gauge wire. It is only used for testing purposes any way.

The tape doesn't have a neon light, so a second opinion that you "assume" the meter should read 0.00ACA makes me feel more comfortable.

I Do Truly Appreciate your reply Thank You So Much,

Wayne R. Russ

Reply to
Wayne R. Russ