Attic insulation

My attic floor is insulated but not the roof itself. Would adding insulation there help any or is it just a waste of $$$?
You want the unheated part to be vented and the temp to be the same as the exterior. Add more to your floor you are most likely underinsulated, What zone - area are you, what do you have now.
Jim85CJ wrote:

It might save you a little heating and cooling cost, but cost you more in roof replacement.
The best thing you can do is to make sure the unheated area is _properly_ ventilated summer and winter, and you have plenty of insulation in the floor area, at least up to current code for your area.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

From all I have read, there are two areas where you get the most bang for the buck.
First and cheapest is to install (or have roofer install) ridge vents. Along with this, you need plenty of ventilation under the eve so air can enter and then exit through the ridge vent - thereby cooling the attic.
Second is a radiant barrier on the underside of the roof (attic ceiling). I think this is rather expensive to install on old construction, but is highly recommended to use on new construction.
I'm no authority on this sort of thing, but this is what I have read from several different sources.
Bob
Bob wrote:

In many areas, this would not be a good idea. A radiant barrier on the floor would be ok. Under the roof it would cause the roof to heat up more and reduce the life of the roof. Radiant barriers have the added problem that they tend to collect dust and reduce their efficiency quickly.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math